HybridZ

How About GM Fast Burn Heads??

Guest V8Z

The info. I read said that Fast burn heads should be used with flat top pistons for best results. I have dished pistons, will these still be bad ass heads?? Also it says the heads are "vortec" style head. Does this mean I have to run a vortec style intake manifold? I have aways like this GM head, even better than the ZZ4 heads with the 58cc combustion chambers. The fast burns use a 62cc chamber. What do you guys think???

The info. I read said that Fast burn heads should be used with flat top pistons for best results. I have dished pistons, will these still be bad ass heads?? Also it says the heads are "vortec" style head. Does this mean I have to run a vortec style intake manifold? I have aways like this GM head, even better than the ZZ4 heads with the 58cc combustion chambers. The fast burns use a 62cc chamber. What do you guys think???

Just my opinion but the GM heads at $570 or so each is ok but Id go a couple bucks more and get the AFR 195 heads $1200 complete and CNC ported. I think those are a better choice for the price and out of the box performance. Anyone else?

http://www.airflowresearch.com

Terry

I agree that AFR are the king of heads, but price is a important factor for me. I can buy a set of NEW fast burn heads for 550.00. I can't hardly turn that down. But no use buying them if they will not make me anymore power with my dished pistons. BTW I will also be going with a "hot" cam and roller rocker and lifters. Anyone else.................

Let me get this straight, your going to be running hyd roller cam?

If so why the hot cam?

Budget build, hmmmm, what exactly is that?

What is your complete shortblock consist of? You say dished pistons, but what compression with what cc head?

What is your target HP level?

Daily driver?

If your shooting for 400HP max at the crank they'd be fine, but if your hoping for more either now or at some point, I'd go AFR's and better cam. Something like crower 00467 or 00468 given your probable low compression

My engine is Part# 10067353 and specs say 270hp and 305lb torque. My target is 400hp. I don't have a roller system as of now but plan to do that with the head install. This isn't my daliy driver, I only put around 1000 miles a year on this car (street rod). The specs from GM say that this crate engine has 8.5:1 compression. Why not a "hot" cam with the roller system? Will this cause a problem?

My engine is Part# 10067353 and specs say 270hp and 305lb torque. My target is 400hp. I don't have a roller system as of now but plan to do that with the head install. This isn't my daliy driver, I only put around 1000 miles a year on this car (street rod). The specs from GM say that this crate engine has 8.5:1 compression. Why not a "hot" cam with the roller system? Will this cause a problem?

No, it's just that there are other cams that will make more power than that one. It's not bad, it's cheap to buy, and if you match your other parts right, you'll be close to achieving what your looking for. zz4 is 208/221 .474/.510, which isn't that big and specs say low end and mid range.

I read the spec's to say;

Horsepower: 249 HP @ 5,000 RPM

Torque: 304 Ft/Lbs @ 3,500 RPM

Compression Ratio: 8.50 to 1

Block: 4 – Bolt, 2 Piece Rear Seal, 4.000†Bore

Crankshaft: Cast Nodular 3.480†Stroke

Heads: Cast Iron, 76cc

Valves: 1.940†/ 1.500â€

Camshaft lift: 0.390†/ 0.410†Hydraulic

Duration @ 0.050â€: 195° / 202°

Intake: Not Included

So, if your going 62 cc chamber the compression will come up to about 9.5 or so (guess), which will be better. I'm going to guess that with the edelbrock rpm air gap, holley DP 650, good headers, right timing and tuning that it'll be real close. I think if you upgrade the cam to something better you'll be able to hit that mark. Remember it's going to start to fall off at 5400 with the hot cam and 5800 with about any roller unless you run the afr rev kit. Making 400HP at 5400 rpm is going to take alittle more IMO than that little 350 has in it right now. It can be done on 9.5 compression but driveability is going to suffer. If you go AFR's and one of those crower cams you'd be there for sure.

If you go fast burn, hot cam, I'd guess about 380HP, maybe someone with DD could run it and see if your going to be close.