HybridZ

Road tripping problems?

Well Im about to pick up a 280zx from a friend, running and all. Its just got a little rust here and there, still very driveable. This is from western maryland, about 280 miles from door to door. My friend is going to drive his '90 325is or accord, and Ill drive the 280 back, should be fun.

I bought a 83 turbo setup. Engine,tranny, driveshaft, rear complete subframe, complete engine and body wiring harness, front subframe and shocks, uh ECU, turbo dash, misc stuff. Of coruse the turbos the important part! Oh and a great shape radiator! and the starter is there...110K miles!

So the NA car, I figured Id bring the starter, radiator, new hoses, a tire and rim I have from my 240sx, and a new battery and one from my 240, the turbo alt (or a maxima alt and w/e else the max alt swap needs).

My friend owns the car, and he said hed do any thing I need him too within reason. Im thinking 4 new tires, oil change, sea foam, drain coolant, and air freshen the interior. Anything else to add to the list?

It starts and runs as is but isnt very smooth, we both think because its been sitting. No problem, sea foam it! well ZX injectors can stand sea foam right? also I figured Id buy new rad hoses, and put my turbo rad thats in great shape in as well, pure water as well. He said the stater grinds some times but it can be push started.

Also the alt. Im going to have my turbo alt tested tomorrow. Ill probably pull one from a maxima at PNP (its got like 110K) and have it rebuilt later.

Any thing else I should worry about? And dont tell me to trailer the car. Its at least $380 vs me and my friend's gas and food at $120. All the things Im doing or bringing with me is stuff I would have done any way. And I have AAA, they can tow me.

I really cant wait. The cars in good shape and just needs some derusting which Ill take care of no problem. Then swap in the turbo engine! Buhahaha.

~Alex

sounds like you have put alot of thought into it, one thing i would recommend, if the car has been sitting for a while, after you start it and it warms up so the thermostat opens, check radiator level,

when i picked up my 280ZX that had been sittin for a while, i didnt check that, i just did oil + plugs + tune up + fuel then drove off

so 50km down the road i was overheatin, pulled over, topped it up and off i went, havent had a problem since.