HybridZ

Question about front wheel bearing (races)

I am installing the Toyota front calipers along with my engine swap. So I also decided to replace the front wheel bearings while I had everything apart. I ordered new front wheel bearings from Motorsport. I tapped out the old bear races, and had a machine shop press in the new races. When I got them back today, one (one of the four) of the races will spin in place.

Should I worry about it not being pressed in tight?

Should I try and apply some locktite so it will not rotate at all?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

For starters-the insert [iS NOT] suppose to spin in the hug; the bearing spins in the insert while the insert remains stationary & turns w/the hub (press fit/interference fit)-thus the need to "Press" the insert in the hub...BTW-w/a little patience you can knock out the insert & tap the new ones in...that way you dont have to worry about "A Shop" screwing you out of your hard erned/bought hardware.

If the old insert was not spinning in the hub then the shop scored the wheel hub bore when pressing in the new one-it is their mistake and even if they wont admit it you should bring it to their attention & politely request they replace your hub...dont say anything else other than, "What are you going to do to fix your mistake"?...& then hush/be quiet-dont ask any other questions-dont offer any other advise other than it wasnt like that when you first dropped it off for them to work on it.

I had a Toyoto Corrolla whose hub was so worn (high mileage/all high rpm-high speed mileage) & the bearing insert would spin in the bore; you either have to repack it every 5k miles or replace the hub! Even if you decide to repack them often-the insert spinning w/the bearing will wear the hub even worse & cause a grinding sound when you come to a stop as the insert's metal is pinching itself against the hub bore; metal against metal-metal filings in your grease-metal filings in your grease getting in your bearings....not a good thing!

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

[ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: Kevin Shasteen ]

Guest Anonymous

If it truly is a machine shop, they can check the OD of the races w/ a micrometer to see if you recieved an inferior part. I suspect that they pressed the race in crooked and broached the ID of the hub oversize. As stated earlier, this procedure can be done without special tools if your careful. Good luck, Jeff