HybridZ

cant get boost down

i have a 71 z with a 83 turbo motor. i have a stock waste gate with a home made bracket. i have a t3/t04b turbo. i have a hallman es manual boost controller. i cant get my boost to go lower than 19. i cant turn the rod any more because it has run out of thread. my boost controller does not change a thing. i checked it with my air compressor. when it is all the way out air goes thru and when i tighten it air eventually stops. no mater what setting its at the boost goes up to 19.

i have searched and cant find anyone with similer problems.

any ideas????

Things to check:

1. The diaphram actuator isn't leaking. Connect a hose and blow into it.

2. The wastegate flap isn't stuck shut. Manually try and move the actuator rod and flap to make sure its not jammed.

3. All boost lines to and from the manual boost controller and diaphram.

Good luck,

Dave

Your wastegate actuator is probably hosed, the flap is stuck closed, etc.

Your boost controller will only hold the wastegate closed until a higher pressure is reached than your base wastegate actuator pressure. You cant use a boost controller to make the wastegate open sooner than the actuator base pressure.

If you blip your air line from your air compressor on the inlet of the wastegate actuator, does it force the flap open? Dont apply 90 psi to it directly or you might blow the seals on the actuator.

- Greg -

Correct...A boost controller won't lower boost, it only lets you raise it.

I had to buy a new actuator to lower the boost in my miata with a DSM turbo.

Is your wastegate actuator or arm bent anywhere, or does it have any rust on it?

Edit: Also, with the homemade bracket, is the arm straight?

i'd imagine an arm that doesn't feed into the actuator perfectly straight could make it harder for it to open.

The actuator I bought is able to be set for either 5 or 9 psi and it cost me around $100

But it's better than blowing More oil out your exhaust than the alaska pipeline leak. (like I did when I tried to run 15psi the first time)

well i tried installing controller both ways and nothing changed. i applied air to the actuator and it hardly moved. i disconected the rod and was told to wire the the lever in position. took it for a run and still 20. i was told that the hole on the turbo might be too small. can that be right? i got it and the actuator from james t. i thought he would know what to give me.

i applied air to the actuator and it hardly moved. i disconected the rod and was told to wire the the lever in position. took it for a run and still 20. i was told that the hole on the turbo might be too small. can that be right?

Did you apply air to the actuator with the arm disconnected from the wastegate flap? The arm should move out at a set pressure and then snap shut when you remove the air line. It sounds like your actuator may not have a good angle to push the flap open.

There's no way you could build 20 psi with a 1" hole bypassing the turbine. Sounds like you wired it shut. Try a test drive with the actuator disconnected and no wire -- the pressure on the turbo should push the flap open and you will build little to no boost.

- Greg -

what? you hold the wastegate COMPLETLY open.. and your still over boosting?

that is impossible.. maybe the wastegate puck is welded or stuck shut.. and the flapper arm BROKE .. so the flapper is moving around but the puck is broken and stuck shut.

if the wastegate puck is open.. all the exhuast gases are being vented before it spools the turbo.. so it's extremely difficult to run boost

This actually happens to me as well. I can only run so low of a boost no matter what conditions ... I usually run 14 psi (T3/To4e 57 trim) daily on the road but more when someone wants to run 18-20 psi on 100 octane. (Safe for now, untuned) The problem is the internal wastegate hole is too small for all the gases. Even with my actuator disconnected with the flapper moving freely... it will still go way above 10 psi. It came to the point where it drove me crazy because I tried everything ... MBC and EBC.. They will both hold but def can't run low boost pressures. I run the Greddy Profec B SpecII now, but still only able to run so low of boost. I don't really care anymore. If you want to fix the problem.. port the hole as much as you can so the flapper still covers the hole.