HybridZ

Planning your build: Suggestions?

Okimoto

I've been thinking for a while about how I want to repair the Z car that I have.

see: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=69331

No, I'm not going to send this car to the scrap heap. I'm not going to give up that easily. I checked the car diagonally and its reasonably straight as it sits (on x-y). I know it's going to take a while, but I'm determined to finish this car. Right now, the car sits as-is on jackstands as I am taking some welding classes at the local CC. It doesn't help that my family is in a bind with my dad being terminal. Because of all of this, I'm a bit shorthanded when it comes to allocating time for the hobby that keeps me sane.

Given the calamity in my life, I have adjusted my plan accordingly:

7 years, 14-21,000 dollars, all wheel drive. 175-250 a month for a good car isn't that bad all things considered.

Items on separate tab:

paint and finish body.

tools and consumables

personal transportation and food.

Education.

Year one: Learning welding, initial research into suspension geometry, research parts costs, research import rules, tariffs, research engine choice. Continue to strip Z

Year 2: Second year welding classes, more research. Trip to japan for funeral, possibly pick out GTR front clip?

Year 3: Finish with third year welding classes and possible AWS cert?, more research final teardown and begin build of chassis frame. Begin obtaining parts, hardware.

Year 4: Continue building Frame, research Suspension geometry more, start building front end. superimposing unibody on frame.

Year 5: Complete frame, begin DOM cage? rebuild engine. rebuild transmission. Research engine management

Year 6: Complete frame, begin mockup of engine and trans, fuel cell, etc. Obtain driveshafts, axles, wheels.

Year 7: Engine Electrical. Chassis Electrical. Interior. Brakes.

Is this even possible? Am i even on the right track?

I'd rather you guys quash my dream now than my finding out later on as I get myself into a bind I can't get out of.

I'm hoping that as time goes by, I can allocate more time to repairing the Z car. I'm in ok shape financially, so money isn't too much a problem. (I hope it stays that way)

What do you guys think? How did you guys plan your build? Are there other threads like this? (I tried searching this forum but didn't come up with anything good)

Run a search for AWD 240z, and you will get some interesting hits. There is a link to a black skyline drivetrain s30 that is awd that I've posted before (although I wasn't the originator, I too found it while searching). There is not much more info than a scan of a Japanese magazine article, but it has some pics, and proves it has been done. I'm sorry to hear about your father though. As for a build plan, I'm about to start one of those myself. I've got a deal with my wife where if I put together a list of things I want for the car, I can just check them off for presents and so forth, but it has to be on the list so there aren't any surprises. I'm just trying to make a decision on drivetrain, and whether I need a g-nose or not...