HybridZ

Got a request for you guys.

Can one of you guys go measure the distance from the ground to the bottom of the rocker panel on your Z? I lowered the car down off the jackstands last night and Im in the process of setting up my 4-link and rear suspension but I cant find a happy median between sitting too low and too high.

Right now I have it sitting about 7 3/4" from the rocker panel to the ground and that puts the oil pan on the LS1 about 4 1/2" off the ground.

Lason,

My car is sitting on Nissan European Specification springs and KYB struts - not coilovers. It also is running 215/55-16" tires. From the ground to the bottom of the rocker panels is 7 1/4" behind the front wheel opening and 7 1/4" in front of the rear wheel opening. I'm using the JCI LSX motor mounts and a '98 Camaro LS1 and, if I remember correctly, it sits nearly 5 1/2" off the ground.

Hope this helps.

Lason' date='

My car is sitting on Nissan European Specification springs and KYB struts - not coilovers. It also is running 215/55-16" tires. From the ground to the bottom of the rocker panels is 7 1/4" behind the front wheel opening and 7 1/4" in front of the rear wheel opening. I'm using the JCI LSX motor mounts and a '98 Camaro LS1 and, if I remember correctly, it sits nearly 5 1/2" off the ground.

Hope this helps.[/quote']

OK so I probably have it just about right then as it sits. I wonder why your motor sits up a lil higher than mine though. :confused: Only thing I can think of is the motor isnt sitting level anymore. I have the tailshaft of the tranny jacked up with a jack to support it as I dont have a x-member for it built yet and I did that last night. I measured this morning before posting so the tailshaft may have dropped a lil bit, thus lowering the oil pan. Ill check it again when I get home.

Im worried about the oil pan smacking the ground but at the same time I want to get my CG down low and not look like a damn 4x4.

Thanks for the input Phantom. You have been a lot of help during this build.

My car sits kind of low: front rocker 6" , rear rocker 7" , oil pan to ground 3 3/4". I haven't hit anything yet.

Thats good to hear. I got mine just about as low as I can with still being able to get my aluminum jack under the front air dam. About 7" all around and I have about 5" of oil pan clearance. Thanks Mike!

5 1/4" front and rear on the rocker, and 4" on header collector (oil pan is 1/2 inch higher, so it is safe)

WOW! Now THAT is low. The roads around here can be a little treacherous at times so Im kinda afraid to go that low. It will have coil overs on all corners so Ill have a little adjustment when Im done if I think the car will handle it.

The only reason I don't have problems with the headers is that when I built them, I curved them forward off the heads, and then rearward prior to the collector. This way they sit even with the front axle centerline (instead of behind it), so the headers never see the ground unless I go stupid fast over speed bumps.

Yeah I hear that. Right now Ill be running the sanderson LS1 shorty headers so I dont have to worry about low hanging collectors. But soon Ill be running a single downpipe (probably 4" diameter) down there but if I do it will probably be on the outside of the subframes so I can avoid the tranny crossmember and all that.