HybridZ

Maxima ECU swap?

Alex_V

The 89-94 GXE and 89-91 SE maximas all have the VG30E engine like the Z31's, nearly identical dis and similar ecu setup. My idea was to swap the maxima ECU and harness and all that onto the Z when it came time for better management.

Its also able to be chiped and tuned like the Z31 but alot more common. The MAF's for example can take 300HP no problem and are pretty reliable and every where.

I have the ECU and 2 MAFs (I have a 90SE maxima) laying around and the local yards always have at least 2 maximas, usually 4 or more. so the wiring harness isnt hard to get. Oh and I have a whole distributor as well.

So Im thinking I can swap all the maxima sensors and wiring and all that over chip the ecu and run it on 2.8L turbo fury!!!

Any way I need to check on things like coolant sensor compatability and other small stuff like that, but we'd also have a knock sensor to mount some where!

LMK what you guys think. Should be a good alternative to MS to ppl in my situation.

~Alex

Seems like a lot of work to end up with something that is not easily tunable. Plus, it's 10+ year old wiring, connectors, and sensors. Doing a Megasquirt conversion seems like it might be less work, especially when you get to the debug phase.

As far as making it work, I don't see why a Maxima ECU wouldn't work on an L28, as people have used Z31 ECUs on them for years.

Ive got a friend in chicago that has a 350+HP maxima with a chipped ecu. Its a very through setup, so I dont doubt its tunablity.

How much HP can the Z31 read up too? The maxima MAF is pretty well proven with the turbo maxima guys.

I really like Megasquirt as well, Ill be using that on a project next year. But I have every thing but a few sensors here and there and wiring and I can either get the wiring from the junkyards or from maxima.org when people part out their cars. So its a much cheaper option for me.

And if I did get a MS, Id HAVE to build it. Know what I mean.

Now of course Im regretting selling the harness out of my 5 speed parts car maxima, but I traded it for a perfect flywheel I couldnt find any where at the time.

I was going to do the z31 conversion but Id have to find a turbo one and buy the maf and ecu, this way I only buy some wiring and a few cheap sensors and use my spare parts.

10 year old wiring? As to opposed to 20 and 30 year old wiring? That'd be a non issue ;)

~Alex