HybridZ

Whine from Dirveshaft or Diff.

george.bryant

The driveshaft won't whine. IMHO... what's likely is that the front diff mount was damaged enough that you're getting some metal-to-metal contact in the mount. The whine you're hearing is probably normal diff whine, its just being amplified by the damaged mount.

I'm not particularly familiar with the R200, but in my experience when a differential starts whining in the manner you have described the pinion bearing has gotten buggered up.

Certainly look at other areas for a potential cause first so you don't pull apart the center section for nothing.

I've just been to a few places around town and they said 2 1/2 hours for labour just to pull it apart. And i was told its big $$ to spend to overhaul a diff.

I do have a FSM but I have no experience with dismantling a diff. I will check the oil level in it when I finish work.

I'm worried, I need it fixed but I dont have a huge budget...

Its a automatic transmission. Lately the vehicle has been making occasional banging/cluinking noises that soudns like its coming fomr the bellhousing, i thought maybe it was the torque convertor cause If i put my put flat on the break and pump it a bit the banging/clunking stops.

I will give the tight turn thing a try when I finish work today.

Thanks for your suggestions.