HybridZ

trouble shooting new car

I like my 260 with the turbo motor so much I bought an 83 280 zxt.now I have to get it home. Great body and interior but motor has running problems. Just need to get it home to build a new motor.I go get it tomarrow and it has the following symptoms. Hard to start, and when it does it stumbles while cold. When it worms it is slow to rev and when it does it will not hold rpm and drops to idle just fine.I'm going for a cloged fuel filter and a bad head temp sensor.Maybe a little work on the afm.What do you think?Let me know i have to go prepaired. any comments welcome but time is short.

Well no words of wisdom yet.part of the problem was that the fuel filter was clogged and the hose clamps on the connecter from the turbo to the j pipe were gone. that got rid of the backfire and the engine dieing at rpm.however new problems have surfaced. the engine will not rev past 2500 rpm even when floored. it builds boost but nothing happens.also the engine get extremely hot very fast.it might have a bad thermostat.the car has not been on the road for 4 years, how about the muffler or cat has collapsed inside.i haven't found any air leeks yet but it iddles at about 1200 rpm.could the fuel regulator be bad and making it run lean and hot and keep it from reving?Why does it build boost at 2000 rmp and not rev higher?lots of problems and lots of guesses, what do you think?

sounds like a few different issues might be at work here so you need to work through them one at a time. I'd look at the cooling issue first. Thermostat sounds like a good guess, does it hold water? Not revving past 25K could be throttle position sensor. If you are not driving the car under load, it will not build boost.