HybridZ

Driveshaft

I think JTR recommends 3/4" - remember, the diff is bolted down, so it doesn't need to slide much - only the engine/trans and the diff moving in flexible mounts will cause relative movement and the need for play. I used 3/4" which is plenty.

You want to not use too much since any extra length from the tail housing (actually the bushing) to the u-joint exaggerates the play in the tail shaft and causes the u-joint to run in larger and larger circles, causing eccentric driveshaft rotation and vibration.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Guest Anonymous

I spoke with Ron Tyler a while back and took a ride in his T56/LT1-240Z. He recommended about a half inch to reduce vibration. Trust me, his Z is SMOOTH! His is one of the main reasons I'm building one myself. I said to myself "I-gotta-get-one-a-these!!

Seriously, I'm sure he said a half inch, but you might want to check with him also- No disrespect intended to those who have expressed a different amount- Heck, listening to most of these guys, I feel like the village idiot!!

Good luck,

Larry

When getting a driveshaft fabricated, how much slack should i leave in the splines on the tranny end when I measure the length from u-joint to u-joint? I don't think it should go flush, or is that just for vehicles with solid rear axles? Thanks...

When I did the 14bolt in my blazer I left it out about an inch and a half, but this is with a long yoke, with a normal yoke they say one inch is ok.. if you get out to far you will have a vibration problem...

------------------

Remember it is only a piece of metal.