HybridZ

My Dilema...73 vs. 78

240zwannabe

Alright guys first off i thought i should post this and see what some other z guys would do. heres the situation, i have a 73 z with 1/8 inch thick steel subframe connectors, eibach pro-kit springs, tokico hp struts, powder coated subframe, performance bushings, and a 3.36 R200 already in the car. the motor is completely torn apart in my garage and there is absolutely nothing in the interior, so it's pretty much the definition of a shell right now. I've also been over at the guys house everyday after work helping him get a 78 z with 51xxx miles on it so i can swap that motor in at a later time.

so heres the question: should i just get the 280 running and in proper working order and then just swap all the subframe and suspension over to it from the 240 or should i keep on with the 240? the only reason i question this is because i'm only 17 and my 73 is at my grandparents house as they have two 2 car garages, but my grandfather is getting old and i think he is getting tired of it being in his wood working way. sorry for the lengthy post and i appreciate any comments.

240zwannabe:

You weren't very clear on who is the owner of the '78 - you ar your buddy?

You also haven't stated what your goal is for the car you will be building.

If your grandfather wants the car out of the garage - what will you do with it?

I personally wouldn't put 240 suspension pieces on a 280 - Datsun made 280 pieces (struts, etc) bigger, because there is more weight for them to control.

Help us help you by clarifying what your goals are and what all your options are as you see them.

sorry guys, i wrote it in a rush. as of right now my buddy is the rightful owner but within the next week after we get it running i will be buying it for $300. i will be doing a turbo l28, all i'm hoping for is about 350-400 hp but i will keep it conservitively tuned until i get used to the power. i oculd put it in my garage for a short period of time but not enough time so that i can rebuild the whole entire car.

options: 1 keep on building the 240 and not have a running car for about another year.

Option 2: take all the performance parts form the 240, put them on the 280 and have that as my z.

tell me if there is anymore confusion.