HybridZ

Help with my Zx....

cpt jack

Hi all i have a 1983 280zx and it died on me last night... the car was goin up a semi steep hill at 2k in 5th with no problems then... it hit... the dash was actin all weird (Electric display) and the revs where soundin weird as well... the charge light came on and off... so i get home berly and i wait till the next day... the car doesnt start so i replaced the battery and now its just fine... and well i was wonderin my volts is readin like 13 ~ 14 volts and the charge warnigng light comes on when i start it then turns off and when i put the turn signal light one or the front lights on the needle slightly jumps from 13~14 to like 12 and kinda bounces so slightly there... i just would like the opinions from people that have had,the z longer then me... thanks in advanced...

Check your battery cables. Lots of times people just cut the lousy factory post connectors off and put them one size fitall junk on there. They will get you home but they corrode in places you can't see. my z31 had corrosion about an inch down the cable because of this. Car ran okay as long as battery hot and run every day. I let it sit for two nights and had a similar experience to yours. Dummy me had the new cable sitting in the garage but too lazy to change.

You could check your grounds by using a multimeter (switch to measure voltage). Place one probe on the battery ground, and the other probe on the ground in question. If any voltage is seen on the multimeter, clean the ground connection and replace the cable. Bad grounds can cause a lot of problems, and they're not uncommon in an older car. I would also agree to check the alternator to see if it's charging.

First off make sure you disconnect the battery. I made that mistake, tried to adjust the tension on the belt and as I was tightening the bolts down I touched something and BAM sparks everywhere haha. I never had to actually remove it but, I did have to move it out of the way so I could pull the head. It's pretty straight forward and mainly 14mm bolts if I recall correctly. You'll have to do some work from up top and some from down low.

When the new one is in make sure to have plenty of tension on the belt or else it won't charge properly. There are specific ways of doing this but, so long as the belt doesn't move up and down much you'll be fine.

Edit: Depending on what tools you have, how familiar you are with the car and how quickly you work it shouldn't take that long. You should be able to have the old one off and new one on in under an hour. Alternator bolts won't be stuck on real tight like some others. Also, if you don't hae power steering that makes it a lot easier too.