HybridZ

First 1/4 Mile Pass!

Well i made it to the last race of the season,i was pretty nervous but managed to run a 11.7 @125 motor only.I was next in line for my nos. pass when a girl in a mint gto went nose first into the wall at 3/4 track,they shut down the track.Atleast i didn't break anything and i got to drive home,lots of room for improovment.150 shot of nos and my 60' was crap!1.9 but lots of mph.I need a 3500 stall and nos of the line.Can't wait for next year,sure wish i didn't leave it to the end.Any ideas to improove my 60' time?

Wow you ran an 11.7! I left just before the end and only saw your 12.4 Cool! Too bad about the GTO but at least you kept it off the wall - It was getting a little slick out there on my last run. I look forward to seeing your car next season with the NOS.

Your setup and times are about like my car. Good job! However, I started breaking wheel axles after every 5 or 6 runs when I started hitting the 175 shot of N02. Off n20 and in the 11's I would break axles every 10 to 15 runs. Either way, your datsun stock rear end setup is going to fail soon at that power level.

Yes, the axle were breaking off the line or at the first to second shift. I also broke a few U-joints and made a few diffs real clunky. I haven't done any modifications to the car. I just quit racing it for now. Since then, I got married, the wife had a kid, house needed work, truck needed work, took on a turbo Z project, and got older and slower, so the V8 z took a break from racing.

It is a long story. When I first put the car together (over 10 years ago), it was fun to drive and pretty quick (12.7's at 110 on street tires). The engine was nothing special, had slightly modified stock double hump heads, 11:1 cr, block huggers headers, single 2.5 inch exhaust, dynomax muffler, a comp cam 292H (244/244, 0.501"), stock hei, performer rpm intake, and vacuum secondary holley 750 carb. Also had a R200 3.90 gear and a GM T5 5 speed all in a 71 240Z. (I had a 700r but didn't like it).

I ran it hard on the street and at the track over and over with no breakage (+50 runs) but with times that were getting boring (mid 12's). So I up the power with some 200cc dart iron eagle heads and some full length headers with dual 2.5" exhaust with hooker areo-chamber mufflers. I also installed some MT street bias ply tires (14's). This lowed my et's to 11.7's at 120mph. Not bad considering the low lift flat tappet hyd cam. At this point, I ran it for a few trips to the drags without any problems but then and started to break things. Not a big deal swaping a u-joints or axle once a month, but I was needing to push the car onto the trailer much more often. But I wanted more power, so.....

I installed a N20 system. I placed 4 foggers into the intake right under the carb since a plate wouldn't fit under the hood. And installed a one gallon fuel cell and small electic pump by the radiator for racing fuel to feed the n20 system. Install a set of 26x8 MT drag tires (real drag tires on 15 x8 rims). I would use a brake line lock to take the slack out of the drivetrain and spray N20 out of the hole. Ran 1.5 (60 ft), 6.9 at 110 (1/8 mile), and 10.7 at 135 (1/4 mile). I also shifted the T5 slowly to help not break the transmission or the car.

I'm at the point of selling my turbo project and getting back into the V8. However, I would like to live long enough to see my kid grow up so I need to install a ford nine inch or just put it back to running 12's and be happy. Maybe a low 12 with the better heads. Or just stay on skinny, hard, street tires and go for high trap speeds. I don't know yet.

• Like 1

Nice story,it starts way better than it finishes,i don't think i could have a 10 sec.car sitting there and not be playing with it.Sell the turbo,cv axles and have some fun.That is a great sounding car,i know i'm going to start breaking,so the quaife and cv's are the winter project,it's time to park the car in Canada anyway.Except the odd sunny sunday!

I've been listening to all the comments about our horsepower and breakage ,ifound a new rearend and with the group buy on the brute i felt brave today,so what if i break ,winter is here.I stopped in the middle of the highway ,hit the nitrous button and let it launch,WOW.This is fun,the car held together great,insane out of the hole,i think i'll keep having fun until we have breakage.