HybridZ

timing with flat top Pistons & Turbo

Zlovemachine

Hello all,

At idle - where should i set the timing to using flat top pistons and turbo. I know on a stock block you use 24* but snice i have flat tops do i want more advance 20* or more retard 27*.

Do set the timing with the TPS on or off because when i set the timing with the gun and the TPS off car ran like crap 0 power and ran pig rich. When i timed with TPS on WOW car ran like a champ and temp stayed cooler.

Oh yeah i was setting it at 24* and the motor has been recently rebuilt if this info helps.

Hello all,

At idle - where should i set the timing to using flat top pistons and turbo. I know on a stock block you use 24* but snice i have flat tops do i want more advance 20* or more retard 27*.

Do set the timing with the TPS on or off because when i set the timing with the gun and the TPS off car ran like crap 0 power and ran pig rich. When i timed with TPS on WOW car ran like a champ and temp stayed cooler.

Oh yeah i was setting it at 24* and the motor has been recently rebuilt if this info helps.

You got it backwards. Timing is advanced the higher the number and retarded the lower lower the number. I'll assume you have the p90/p90a head so you have 8.7:1 compression ratio. As long as you run premium gas and keep the boost low you should be able to keep it at 24 degrees. Although what year ecu do you have? 81 and 82 the stock timing was 20 and 83 it was 24. If you ever hear anything that sounds like a paint can being shaken up then lift off immediately and retard the timing atlest 2 degrees. Good luck.

yes it is a 83 but how can you tell is there a marking or different number on the box to be sure you never know with old parts.

Am i suppose to check timing with TPS ON or OFF, this would help a lot.

And is setting the timing better advance or retarded for turbos at idle. I hear people using 20* and 27*. This information will be useful for all the Z buddies.

yes it is a 83 but how can you tell is there a marking or different number on the box to be sure you never know with old parts.

Am i suppose to check timing with TPS ON or OFF, this would help a lot.

And is setting the timing better advance or retarded for turbos at idle. I hear people using 20* and 27*. This information will be useful for all the Z buddies.

TPS on. Just make sure it is adjusted correctly. Also all this information can be found if you searched. ALL OF IT. The 83' ecu has a different code on it search and you can find what yr it is from. Timing is always better advanced as long as you aren't detonating.