HybridZ

Th350 or 700r4 ?

gretchen/jason

Well i curently have a Th350 3 speed auto in my z but with my 4.11 gears the rpms are to much to get on the highway about 3,400 at 60 mph .

I was told to use this trans as the 700r4 or the 4 speed chevy automatic trans wouldnt hold up as good is this trueId like the extra gear for highway driving but want to ask if this trans will hold up as good .

Seeing i i blew the Th 350 up only 1 week after i ordered it from jegs it makes me wonder if either one is any good i even thought of using a 2 speed power glide trans

Jason Blown SBC 350 78 280z

IMO your going to have to go 4l80e with a blown sbc if you have any hope of making it live and keeping the overdrive feature. Sans that, why in the world are you running 4.11 gears with a blown car anyway. 3.39 would be much better and would lower your cruise rpm by about 750rpm or so.

I tried 3.54 gears with my 3,400 rpm stall converter and didnt like them as far as get up and go is concerned so i switched back to the 4.11 gears im not putting down to much power yet about 280 in horse and 300 in torque to the tires with 7 lbs of boost as the engine only had 230 horses at the crank when i dynoed it with just a 4 bbl carb no blower .

i think a built 700r4 could handle that torque. I have a 700r4 is my truck that i tow my excavator with so thats alot of abuse right there. but hard launches can pretty much ruin any transmission, so it depends on ur driving habits. a 700r4 would be a good daily driver, or street cruiser with some launches, but not a drag car unless u want it rebuilt alot. But i'm sure other people have more experienced opinions to...