HybridZ

Megasquirt advice needed`

trwebb26

GREAT NEWS!!!

I can't believe it, but BRAAP was 100% correct!!! I got my Magnecor wires today. I swapped out my Taylor wires (which were total POS) and put in a fresh set of plugs and whala!!! No more resets! I mean 100% gone! Thanks BRAAP!!!!

I even managed to hook up the MSD and it works great! My new 1-wire alternator is working great, too! The timing is perfect and the car can now idle in my garage with no problem. BIG thanks to Steve @ RS-Autosport for helping me with my Megasquirt. The problem ended up being a combination of 2 major things:

1) Taylor wires suck! Please follow BRAAP's advice and buy a set of Magnecor wires and fresh resistor plugs.

2) The input from my distributor was wired incorrectly from the very beginning (a year ago) as I got it from RS-Autosport. It was wired for a low to high dizzy and should have been wired for a high to low (thanks for the clarification, Moby!). That explains why my trigger numbers were so low (~55 degrees)... I was triggering off of the wrong side of the square wave. As the square wave width changed with increasing RPM - my timing would change the difference in width of the square wave - and eventually skip to the next optical trigger point at a high enough RPM. It makes perfect sense.

All of that and I haven't driven it, yet. While Steve had it at RS-Autosport - he rewired my fan control signal (the only thing that acutally worked on my megasquirt before I sent it to him)... now my electric fan won't turn off. So there is some kind of problem with the fan circuit that he re-did. I'll be opening up the megasquirt tomorrow to take a look at how he wired it up and hopefully correct the problem. I also have a lot of work to do to put my car back together anyways. I had just about every loom of wire undone trying to troubleshoot the megasquirt. It'll take me a few hours to put it back together so I can drive it.

FINALLY - THERE IS SOME HOPE!!! Thanks to everybody here on hybridz for the support! When I finally get to drive my car without it dying on the side of the road (hasn't happend in the 14 months I've owned the car) - I will be making my first donation to the hybridz website. Thanks again everybody!

ive been reading this site for about 2-3yrs. I WILL do megasquirt on my 83 280zx. The reason i have not is cuse my wife keeps haveing kids:shock: . Any how nothing ever works for me the frist time, or sec, or thrid,,,,,,,but that is how i became head engineer for my company. I have a shop that would make people drool, machiist, dyno, and help, but no time or money, so i hope some day to join the ranks of those that have fought and won with megasquirt, congrats on your love machine!

Great to hear that you figured it out! Patience and hard work usually pay off in te long run.

Any good quality OEM style wire will work fine (NGK, Bosch, etc.). You never want to use solid core wires on a street car with a modern ignition. Also, always use resistor plus, especially where you have a wide variation in wire lengths.

I made the mistake of putting non resistor plugs in my SC car that is running EDIS. The wire length varies from about 6" to 30". Without a resistor plug (which have a much higher resistance than the plug wires), it would not fire under load. Resistor plugs will make the transmission line for each spark plug wire essentially the same.

The universal Summit Racing wires are also decent quality, and come without the coil ends unattached so you can customize the length. The come with HEI and standard coil plugs so the work great for any direct fire setup.

Update...

I took the megasquirt apart and sure enough - the fan circuit was wired wrong. I changed 2 wires and now the fan works great!

I drove the car last night with NO RESETS and no real problems. I have the fuel pump relay cut out when there is <10PSI of oil pressure. I'm only running 10W-30 oil (turbo oil pump) and when the oil gets hot the pressure will dip below the 10PSI mark. I bought some 20W-50 oil and a new filter. That ought to do the trick.

I've got a pretty terrible tune in the car right now and it is running pretty rough. I'm excited to tie up some loose ends (wire electric speedo, set the fuel level guage, fix 2 broken LEDS in my custom fiberglass dash) and start tuning. I'm pretty excited. Thanks again everybody.