HybridZ

Autometer Tach conversion questions

Zmanco

The stock tach in my '73 has gone south, and a used one is at least $100. I'm thinking I might swap to an Autometer 3990 which will be about the same price and not 30+ years old. Plus I can pull out the MSD tach adapter and sell it.

So my question is if anyone has done this on an S30 and how you installed it. I'm not worried about the electrical connections, rather how you physically mounted it. Were you able to keep the back light bulbs for night driving? Did it fit well? My interior is pretty nice so I'd like it to look as stock as possible.

I haven't pulled the instrument cluster out yet, nor do I have one of the Autometers to test fit. I'm hoping I can research this in advance so I can do the whole swap all at once - if it's a reasonable swap that is:)

Edit: just found the install sheet for the Autometer and it looks like it has its own lights built in. How did they look compared to the stock green lighting?

I went by the local Z Guru today and looked at the later 280Z tachs and compared them to my '73. Turns out they mount differently, so in the end, I just picked up another stock 73 unit. $100 hurts (doesn't make me faster :(), but messing with trying to fit a later one in to save a few bucks just didn't seem like the smart thing to do.

Thanks to John and Ben for their inputs, and especially to Cold Fusion and his generous offer.