HybridZ

good cam-turbo match?

nategdizzle

i have a to4b .60ar compressor and t3 .63 turbine housing..and a cam with a duration deg of 280-270 with a lift of .465...scott at delta cams told me it was what i should go with so i had him grind it for me and now i was wondering if i made the right choice..also how do i figure out what my compressor and turbine wheels are? the compressor is out of a 82 allis chalmers tractor and has 60-1 stamped on it.

Guest bitchinvolvo

available from the junk yard for rebuildable cores..the one i have on my car now cost 25.00 and was recently rebuilt before it ended up at the junk yard..you would be suprised what you find when you look...i heard volvo intercoolers are ans easy upgrade to a z as well

you would want a cam with no over lap....270 intake and 270 exaust

Advertised duration has little to do with overlap, overlap has much more to do with lobe separation angle and duration at .050. Split duration cams are often used in turbo applications, doesn't mean that they have overlap, just more duration on one lobe or the other.

this is a cam grind for a turbo application and they do not overlap just more duration on exhaust..i just want to make sure i dont have too much cam for my turbo and loose too much low end..but i guess with my cr at 8.47:1 i should gain some low end there compared to some turbo guys..does anyone out there have an idea of when my turbo will spool by..and where a cam with this profile might peak at?

Sounds like a cam that can use the stock Valve springs.Not to much lift and a fair amount of duration.In an L series motor it would depend on if your head/manifold is ported.I would Imagine that the cam will peak somewhere around 5800rpm,mabey a little less.Without knowing exactly what size your compressor wheel is and how large or small the exhaust wheel is it could spool useable boost from 2000-4000 rpm.I ran a similar size cam on a motor with a small T4 and a large shot of nitrous and the power peaked at around 5600rpm.With a larger .488 lift split duration 280/288 cam with 112.5 * lobe centers the car picked up .3 tenths at the drag strip with no other changes.

ic..the head is ported along with the intake and exhaust manifold so i would think i should be able to take advantage of the cam..i know people are always asking this question on here but roughly how much rwhp will my setup yield? ported polished head and manifolds, 60mmtb, 3in dp and exhaust, 24x12 ic, microtech lt-8 ecu with msd 6btm ignition, undercut and tuliped ss valves, 280-270 .465 cam, t4ob/t3 turbo..only have zxt injectors at the moment but am upgrading soon..i was hoping to hit 300hp before new injectors.

well i went out and took measurments from my wheels..the compressor wheel is 2.5in at the base and 1.5in at the top of the fins there are 8 large fins and 8 smaller fins..the housing is .60ar aireasearch with a 3in inlet and 2in outlet. the exhaust turbine wheel is 1.75in at the base and 1.5in at the top with 11fins of the same shape and size, should be whatever the standard .63ar t3 from a 280zxt came with..what is this compressor wheel?