HybridZ

turbo l28 in a 74 skyline

schwiplarkin

I just went out an had a look at my 240K.

It's a front sump L28. Sump is at the front, dipstick is at the front.

It looks like is not an L28 from a 280ZX, but probably from a 280C or a Nissan Patrol. Thats the only other nissans we got with L28's.

I also have a L28 from a 280C, but thats up at my parents house, so I couldn't say what sort of sump position it has.

I guess you could use the oil pickup an sump from the L20A, but dont know what you would do with the dipstick. Maybe have the block re-drilled for it?

You will find a small noid/block notch for a dipstick to be installed if your using a foward bowl sump.

It does run thru the oil delivery feed for the rear oil pickup. But that isnt a problem if you are drilling the front oil pickup boss. Well as you dont need the rear pickup anymore. :)

The L20A crank in the L28 does NOT yield 2.6l, but slightly less than 2.5L. This was the combination used in Bob Sharp's "240" to run in the GTU (Grand Touring Under 2.5 Litres) The engine indeed does have the possibility of having long rods.

As for the pan, I would NOT machine the block, simply alter the L28 pickup with a longer tube facing in the correct direction, and install the L20A Pan onto it, using the proper alteration for turbo oil return of course. This is the course I took when swapping an LPG powered L26 into a Box Skyline, and it worked just fine. You start boring holes and it gets expensive. Screw up on the welding, and you just find another pickup and start over!

BTW, with the weld/modify option you are able to alter how high the pickup sits off the bottom of the pan, so you can get it lower to suck oil at the high end of the load spectrum (high revs for long duration) so oil drainback is not that much of an issue. Like running another 1/2 quart in your pan without the windage drawback!

I rally didn't have a soft spot for the Kenmary for a long while, thinking them to look a bit too much like the Plymouth Sattelite my mom drove me to elementary school...but now I am coming around and wouldn't turn one down if it came my way. A Box Skyline, on the other hand, would be no hesitation on accepting it into the livery! LOL

Good Luck with the pan, it shouldn't be much of a problem. Ours worked fine, and it only took maybe half an hour to make up the tube. Nowadays I'd do a tube from SS (since I have the benders) and go all custom on the pickup, but that's over kill and there is no real reason to go that far!