HybridZ

Fired the DSM today

dr_hunt

I'm glad to see you're so openminded Doc. I know alot of V8 guys that still wont touch import 4cyl's even though they have proven themselves for years.

Thanks, some of the odd things I've done, Buick straight 8, Model T ford (yes, I poured the babbot bearings too), Buick nailhead V8, but they are all kind of neat in their own way.

That little DSM motor is pretty trick. The cylinder head is to die for in comparison to others I've seen. Massive ports, generous valve sizes, dual over head cams, hemi head design. I installed larger valves and ported the area underneath the valve to match, then port matched the head to both the intake and custom exhaust manifold. The only thing I don't like is the oil pump arrangement. Has low psi at idle, like 12.5psi. Goes up to 55psi at any rpm, but at idle it's real low. John shepard uses a dry sump, but for this car that was totally out of the budget.

It has taken 4 months to get this thing built from beginning to end, but the more tricks you do to an engine the longer it takes to assemble it correctly. Example is you can build a stock 350 in two days easily, whereas a 434 may take a month or more. Well, maybe I'm just slow.

I like dependable, I'm with you on that. Went for a ride in the DSM today. It's amazing how much more TQ the 2.1L has over the 2. I would have figured the ported head and big cams to have softened the bottom end, but it actually is a beast compared to what it was, although I have a feeling the other engine builder may have had the cam timing all screwed up which may be the big reason for the increase.

Moby, I can see why you like that car. This one has nitto DR's on all 4 corners, 245/60/15's, handles like a dream. If you ever do that engine, try the 2.1L stroker crank The AWD function is flawless and the thing jumps out of the hole. Shepard built this trans with some upgrades, I'm not sure what all he did to it, but it was expensive.

As soon as this car is tuned and painted, it will be for sale. He's looking to get 10K for it and he has over 4K in upgrades as of this last build. If he sells it he wants a 427 stroker LS2 in a GTO. :D

DSM's are great little cars. The crank walk thing mentioned isnt an issue with the first gen 6 bolt motors. It gets tossed around alot and people repeat what they heard and such.. Misinformation. Now, they are, or tend to be, creaky and cheap in some areas but that motor is very very stout.

Once I get my SHO painted (if i ever get it painted) it goes up for sale, that coupled with some very hoped for income in the near future should give me 3.5k or so to buy into something else and a DSM is at the top of my list. 92 AWD ONLY. 6/4 combo, best of the DSM's. I hope to get one if I cant buy into a nie 325 series bimmer or pick up a Miata ultra cheap and have money to build on it some.

Ive had several friends with DSM's and I love the little turds, bone stock with nothing but a little extra boost and they scoot. A few simple and somewhat cheap mods and you end up with a nasty little car for pretty cheap. Beware the 2nd gear grind though, ha.

Yeah, it's had the 2nd gear thing, he upgraded the trans, john shepard did it, not sure what all he did to it, has some funky gear oil that resembes honey only it's pink colored and smells funny. Some concoction that shepard dreamed up.

I think stock they can push about 24psi on the 16g turbo. Pretty quick, about high 12's here. A few bolt on's and it'll do 12.0's here. I think this one will be a low 11 car maybe a high 10. Dayumed quick out of the hole with the AWD. What great Colorado or any snow area car though.

This motor is sans the balance shafts (rebalanced 2.1L Dodge D50 crank) has eagle rods, ported head, bigger ferrea valves, custom ground Comp cams, titanium retainers, crower springs, JE pistons, aem, GT35R, custom exhaust manifold, bigger injectors, turbo timer, FMIC, mondo external wastegate, greddy BOV. All that and no stickers! I think it'd be faster with stickers though, alot faster.

No stickers? Look, if your gonna post on Hybrid you need to learn a little more about performance before opening your mouth. No stickers and you say it goes 12's? i call bullshit. Period. Aint gonna happen. Not without atleast one NOS sticker and if you dont have a Greddy sticker on there as well I'd have real trouble beleiving you. I mean, really. Learn your stuff before you post this garbage. Honestly..

One question, in all seriousness.. 24psi on the stock turbo? Ive never heard more than about 16-17 before the Td04 enters very dangerous territory. Not saying your wrong, just never heard of boost like that stock off that turbo!

Edit about the turbo. Dont some later models come with a 16g? Maybe thats the turbo that allows those boost pressures, though I thought it ended around 18-19psi

I really want one, lol. If I do get one Im planning a simple set of bolt-ons and nothing else. Its gonna be a DD. Apexi DP, larger injectors, larger MAF, better air pickup and a front mount, tuned ECU. I dont think I'll be going anything else. Turn the boost up when I wanna play, keep it down for normal driving.. I'd like to pull a consistent low low 13 out of it @ 16-ish PSI. I think its possible.

One thing Ive always thought of as a downside to the DSMs is the engine bay. I dunno what it is but somehow they just never look real good. Ugly little setup IMO. a few poeple have done em up ok, but in general its just so cluttery in there.. Thats one thing I love about the SHO, engine bay is clean and simple since the motor dominates the whole thing pretty much.

Sorry, not trying to hijack, lol, just pic whoring a little.. My SHO engine bay when it was clean;

Stupid-002.jpg

His had 16g stock and with a manual boost controller he was able to get 24psi, but it never really gained anything it seemed like to me except fried the motor.

Keep in mind I lost in a street race to this guy, (that's how I met him) in the monte when it was a 9:1 motor on BFG TA street tires. At the track I ran 13.30's he ran 12.97. I bolted on some slicks and went 12.58, he changed turbo's and went built motor and went 12.0. I went built motor and went 11.70. Now I built his motor, went stroker and then I went TT on a 350 instead of the 406 which is now in the z. It never ends!