HybridZ

Fired the DSM today

dr_hunt

My buddy tony, he's 23, has an eagle talon AWD. He took it to get it tuned after modding it and they blew a head gasket twice, fixed it twice then burned a piston. So, I went and got it in Alb with my trailer and brought it back where another buddy of his built him a motor which lasted 500 miles. I'd detail what he screwed up, but it was too much to list here. Ended up having to get a new head, balance it, align hone the block, deck it, yada, yada.

So, I built him one. It's got a 2.1L stroker crank, Eagle rods, JE pistons, custom ported his head, custom ground comp cams, gt35r, FMIC, manual boost controller. All in all a really nice little motor and I mean little. Who would have thought that a 2.1L is a stroker? :lmao:

His car has been in my shop for 4 months or more. It's just nice to get another project done. I hope it runs good enough for him, he wants to sell it and get a new GTO.

John Shepard has one of these down in the 7's now . . .

I have a bunch of friends with fast DSM's. I think the main reason why they have a bad rap reliability wise has to do with the vast amount of misinformation in their community. I mean, they are so popular that you have all kinds of yahoos telling people to do this or that. Plenty of fast ones as well as plenty of blown up ones, haha.

Bang for the buck, hands down a great option . . .

I logged 9500 miles so far in mine, all around it is the most fun car I have ever used as a daily driver. I'm still only running 18psi on it, maybe next summer I'll get it up to 26psi.

I can't believe Doc is talking about DSM's, F&F is just around the corner from here :-)

I logged 9500 miles so far in mine, all around it is the most fun car I have ever used as a daily driver. I'm still only running 18psi on it, maybe next summer I'll get it up to 26psi.

I can't believe Doc is talking about DSM's, F&F is just around the corner from here :-)

I've built all kinds of engines over the years. Yeah, pretty quick little cars, I'm amazed. Last time I saw it run, stock block, head, cam, it ran 12.0 at like 120. We'll see what it does now. It's for sale so I don't think he'll pound on it at all. He wants a GTO, then I can get my hands dirty on the new stuff as he wants a stroker 427.

DSM stands for DiamondStarMotors wich is a result of Mitsu. & Chrysler having an affair wich gave birth to the Eclips, Laser, Talon tripplets.

Humm, I start writing something, I get up, go grab a coke and some chips, finish my sentence hit enter and BOOM an identical answer to mine but, one step ahead.

He came back tonight with a stumble and occassional miss. Turns out the 2/3 coil pack wasn't firing. Seems the f'n knotheads that worked on it before broke two of the weathertight plugs and they kind of rigged it. Well, it unrigged. One plug to the coil packs and one plug to the transistors that control the coils. So now it's off to alb. to the pick and pull to cut two plugs off and then solder it in place of the old ones.

And to think these tuner guys in Alb are supposed to be the best! Morons, you can do that to your own car but you don't do things like that to customer cars!

Stock turbo will go to about 24lb., he's turning this one to 35lb boost. Sounds neat, feels good under power, should be interesting.