HybridZ

New Megasquirt User Help

Yoak

Well I have some extra cash and I have always wanted to have more control over my engine w/ the ability to modify thoose options.

I loooked into JWT option, but at the end I still want control

I have been looking and reading literally all day on the manner.

I understand having HS I w/ PCB 3.0 is a viable option but I want the additional controls of the new MS II / PCB 3.0 for my ecu.

I have read and I am also going to pick up the relay board as well.

So I am going to get a relay and the additoinal wires for the componets, as well as a tuning cable...is there anything else I should look into getting...

I love the idea of being able to remove the l28 harness

my ms works great but be prepared to read ALOT on msefi.com.i spent about 10x more time reading about it than actually working on it.but i tore my engine out for a total update to my car including fuel system redo with bigger pump and lines.how much do you know about electronics?i have a 2 year degree (as) in electronics +20 years experience as a dealership auto tech for ford dealers.also ase certified master technician.if i was to bill myself for my time i would have been $ ahead by buying something already made with an owners manual.but since i have been out of the electronics game i was looking for a challenge.part of my install on my ms was to get rid of all old datsun parts.there is only 1 wire (=12v from key on at connector to ols ecm)that feeds my ms.every thing else is new.i fire my ms fron an industrial hall effect sensor triggered by magnets in my flywheel.but i did figure how to fire the old zxt coil/power transistor with the ms.

Ha, Ha, I enjoyed the assembly challenge too! Btw you don't need to be quite as schooled in electronics to build an MS as you think (I don't have a 2yr degree that's for sure)

My forays into the world of electronics include a crash course at Lincoln tech (allentown,pa) in 1997 and then once again my training after Navy boot camp to be an ICman. The course was about 13 weeks for Engineering Common core training, and another 5 weeks for IC "A" school.

The best part about building the thing was tracing out and figuring out all the Z wiring after I built the MS-II (The neighbor looked at me like I was building a bomb but I showed him the manual and he calmed down)...the big challenge was definitely the tracing out of the Z wiring.

I had the opposite goal of most others, I wanted to retain as much of the factory wiring as possible. Search the forum and you'll see I succeeded!

(Now if only I was better with computers so i could have more pictures on the install page! ;)

In fact, I have an MS-II running COMPLETELY on factory wiring, the only wire I added was the one for the O2 sensor (since a '78 has none)

I did have to "reassign" certain conductors and re-engineer them but I still was able to use the factory loom, and ECU Location.

I also like the added capabilities of the MS-II, the only prob I have so far is the icing up of my Jeep IAC motor (will be fixed as soon as the closed-loop idle code comes out!)

Have fun!

Will this item work for the WB02

Bosch LSU4.2 5-wire, Wide-band O2 Replacement Sensor

L28ET Manifold

Also will the Bosch fuel injector connectors work fine with my setup?

That sensor needs a controller, too. Our cheapest option would be the LC-1, which can be ordered in a package with the sensor.

A Stimulator board is also a very handy thing to have, and pretty much mandatory if you are building the Megasquirt yourself.

Looks like you're on the right track with what you need.

i can vouch for DIYAutoTune, and Jerry.

although my friend didn't buy his megasquirt kit from DIYautotune, Jerry has given me a world of knowledge and assistance with a AE86 4AGZE turbo build that I was emailing him about back and forth a few months back.

Had I known that he was the guy to go to, well... I would have gotten my friend to go to him!

although the other megasquirt distributors are good in their own right, I know where to put my money should I be doing a similar project in the future (which I'm sure I will, since I started my own hobby shop last week)

+1 for DIYAutoTune and Jerry and Matt (i'm sure he's as every bit as helpful as the Jerry is!). :mrgreen:

adding to that post.

my father was an electrical engineer of sorts, and taught ac/dc motors at george brown college.

he never really taught me much, but from looking at him solder away, i got the gist of it, and it took about a day or two to master it when i was about 12.

now that im 22, I can solder like a mad-scientist. (should watch my words, i might get captured by an anti-terrorism group here in Toronto. hahahha)

anyways, through use of some dipswitches, a lot of wire routing, and some technical decisions, I have created what I like to call the MegaSplash board. LOL j/k.

It's basically A megasquirt board with all the options wired in, instead of leaving them out while doing the soldering.

The advantage to this board is that it can be used on all types of setups.

Hall/Optical/VR/etc etc etc.

How? well, first, you're gonna have to make slight modifications PER application of the megasquirt, but before that, all you gotta do is flip these switches, shown here:

DSC00106.JPG

(note the transistor and diode for extra control feature. (i think it's boost control. haven't touched the MS in a while. engine still being built)

and on the back of the board, you have this.... looks weird, but YOU DONT HAVE TO DO THIS. and it's not as confusing as it looks. everything is just hooked up to a "ON/OFF" switch, so you can turn off wires, or turn them on...

DSC00105.JPG

This is probably the most wires you will ever see on anyones megasquirt board. simply because there are 3 other megasquirts in the shop, and I want to be able to make sure that we atleast have one fail-safe test board that we can use on the other two megasquirt cars, should they have a failure or something, or their MS gets fubar'd.

MEGASQUIRT is fun, if you're into DIY things.

i did these modifications because I felt that it was fun to go ahead and try something that I haven't seen before, for whatever reason I thought possible. and upon booting up the Megasquirt with the required 4AGZE mods, it works fine.

the ultimate test will be when the car gets it's heart. and when I try to attack that, we will see if it all paid off. but i'm doing it for free for a friend anyways, so the only payoff is gratitude and piece of mind that I can tackle an electrical situation such as this, and I don't even own a car of my own.

that, for me, is the biggest challenge and best achievement, should everything go as planned.

GOOD LUCK, we're with you every step of the way dude!

EDIT: WHY ARE THE PICTURES NOT RESIZING WHEN I SCRUNCH THEM DOWN TO SIZE. GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.. !!! SORRY.

Awesome responces thanks,

I got everthing in except for the relay cable and it should be here soon.

I got the wideband w/ a controler....

I have a member in the community who is helping me out with this, I can't wait to see how the car runs w/ this setup