HybridZ

Ford E4OD tranny

Guest ebay240z

Guest ebay240z

Sorry this post is not Z-related but I have found this board has the best technical help bar-none. I have a 95 F250 4x4 w/460 and E4OD tranny. Last weekend I was driving the truck in the mountains at about 3000 feet at low speeds for an hour and a half or so. I started up an incline when the overdrive 'off' indicator started flashing while smoke started poring out and tranny fluid was dumping on the ground. The transmission started slipping really bad so I shut the truck off. When I started the truck back up the truck would not move and the tranny would not even go into neutral (lever would move to neutral but truck could not be pushed). I was on a narrow mountain road so I had to disconnect the driveshaft in order to push the truck down to a wide spot in the road. Anyways I tow the truck home, then I decide to dump some fluid in the transmission to see what happens. I dumped about 2.5 quarts in the transmission and now it seems to be working ok. My guess is the tranny overheated and burped fluid out which caused the tranny to stop working. So my question is what should I do now? Do I just flush out the fluid and change the filter and see if it works ok, or is there any other thing I need to do?