HybridZ

Part 2 of to much heat under the hood / venting

gretchen/jason

Oops... mea culpa. Still... isn't the cowl suppose to bringe cool air to the throttle body... or is yours intercooled?

lol yes , im working on fabbing some 14gauge sheet metal into and iso chamber for the intake hoses and TB and it is probally the most irritating fab ive tried yeat :)

"Cool"... be sure to post some pics of your work!!:wink:

lol yes , im working on fabbing some 14gauge sheet metal into and iso chamber for the intake hoses and TB and it is probally the most irritating fab ive tried yeat :)

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if they make affordable air pressure sensors that can be mounted in several parts of the engine bay so one could accurately determine what's happening in there at speed. This would provide the data needed to determine precisely how and where inlet and outlet venting should be placed.

Grainger sells Magnahelic gauges for a quick readout, all one needs to do is construct a static pressure probe so you are not reading air velocity and getting a false pressure reading.

I had a bank of Magnahelics, as well as some RTD's and Omega supplied sensors all over an S30 back in the early 90's trying to figure things out---having free access to analytical instruments at work makes for idle minds doing experiments...

oh, one very effective means of exhausting hot underhood air effectively is to cut some 3" diameter holes in the inner fender well under the battery and the clutch slave cylinder. This is a very low pressure area at speed, and really helps with the underhood air pressure buildup the S30 experiences. Many in Japan used pancake fans in these openings to exhaust air while sitting at a stoplight for extended periods.

Tony D... Thanks for the information on the Magnahelic sensors. How did those work for your purposes?

My Alpha 1 has two diagonally oriented vents in the locations you describe above. I've considered adding fans to facilitate cooling and am going to give this a try. A bonus is that I can mount my transmission and oil coolers on those fans.