HybridZ

Restoring paint?

CORPCRIM

So the more I stare at my Z, the more tiny scratches I start to notice as well as a fading paint job. I was wondering what you all have done to restore your old Z's paint without repainting the entire car.

• What products are being used?
  • Where can they be otained
  • What Equiptment is being used?
  • What steps are being taken?

I don't have the money to be repainting my car nor do I have the time.

could you all please help me figure out what I should do to give my baby a fresh look. If you could I would love to see before and after shots of the car and what product was used.

thanks

-Danny

What I have found is that as long as there is paint on the car enough so that can lightly compound without revealing undercoat, you can almost always renew to great extent. First paint 'scrub' (removes small scratches and oxidation), then polish then seal with wax or urethane covering then you can really bring out the shine.

I use the maguire 'deep crystal' multi (3) step process. First 'body scrub', then 'polish', then 'wax' ie the last step you can use their carnuba wax. If the body scrub dosn't satisfy, take 'white' compound by dupont follow their directions and then follow with Meguiars product.

If you have a random orbit waxer/polisher (change pads often) use it as it will save time and do a better job. Once your paint is satifactory, you can use a product called 'Finish 2001" which is a urethane enriched wax like covering. I have been using for years and it really lasts ( 1 year ) and protects paint. I apply by hand then remove with RO polisher. Change terry cloth pads often.

Hope this helps. Autoparts stores have these products. Finish 2001 is a distributed by Turtle wax. BTW, plain liquid turtlewax once your paint is clear really works amazingly well also.

Ferd