HybridZ

Uh-oh...went out and test drove a frontier...

OlderThanMe

It is a 2004 model with 35k miles on it. It has a factory lift kit which is like 2 inches and bigger tires(245/75R15I think)...3.3 liter v6 and a 5 speed manual tranny. 4 door full cab,red, dark silver alloy wheels, 17-21mpg...Much better than the 12mpg I was getting with the worn out Explorer.

I can get it for about 15 grand and not have to worry about my Z breaking down and not having transportation. I am really wanting to buy this truck. I don't know much about the 3.3L engine so I'll be looking at some Nissan truck forums to see what they think about that motor. It has really good low end torque which is good for driving around. Plus I'll be able to tote around motors and trannies without worrying about getting anyhting dirty. I would have gotten some pics but my camera died when I fell and broke my jaw and it went bouncing down the road two weeks ago.

The engine in that truck is a VG33. Just a larger version of the SOHC VG30 from the Hardbody and Z31. It is as bullet proof a motor as you can get. VG's will take a beating and then ask for more. I had over 300k miles on my '91 Hardbody when I finally sold it. I also had an earlier version, a 2000, of the truck you are looking at. Mine was a 4x4 crew cab with a little under 150k miles on it. As long as you make sure to change the timing belt, water pump, and thermostat at the required interval, 95k miles on the VG33 I believe, you really won't have too many problems. There are 2 possible weak points though. The early ones, 2000-2002, would occasionally crack an exhaust manifold, usually the left one. The high pressure A/C line would go bad and need a repair. I did not have any manifold problems, but my friend did. It was fixed under warranty with no issue. We both had the A/C line go bad. $400 was the bill for the new parts, labor, and a recharge at the dealership. From what I hear, these were problems mainly on the 2000 model with later ones being less likely to experience it. Like anything else, ask for service records.

Brian

Well it is now in the driveway :-)

2x4, crew cab, A/C, and red. It is the 2004 model so it is like new. The motor definitely has some low end uumph to it. I got th carfax on the car from the dealership and it was clean. I will probably be getting a good hitch for it so I can trailer my Z around to different shops and such.

I am probably get a line-x spray-in bedliner put in since I will be using the bed a lot. I'll get some pictures up later. The engine bay looks like it just rolled off the production line. The truck already site nice and high so when I need to chenge the clutch it will be easy to pull the tranny. The 4x4 would have been nice but those are a little hard to find plus this one was in GREAT condition (like new). If I want to I can always put the 4x4 stuff on there in a few years. Not likely though since I will be building a motor for my Z..can't forget about that little car. :-)