HybridZ

Looking to replace a few gauges

Guest wgc_3

Gents/Ladies,

I've searched the website but could not really find what I am looking for so I am going to go ahead and ask.

I own an '83T and the gauges need replacing, I am looking at doing the boost/oil/water

A) What size are they? (know it seems stupid just want to make sure)

B) I can just buy any electrical gauge and it will hook right up?

Thanks,

wgc_3

You have digi dash or analog? Digi dash can't do much with except find a one that works. Analog dash you might be able to find a coolant temp gage that would work in there. It appears to be 50MM (two inches). The combo oil press temp gage and the boost gage area 75mm (3 inches). They along with the clock are mounted in a one piece unit on a circuit board. I think it would be dificult to work on that to carry new gages. I believe you would have to fab some sort of carrier to hold new gages. The new gages might or might not work with the stock sensors you would have to check their specs against stock. Normally gages come with the sender (sensor) that you must install on the engine. Wiring already in place in the harness but you might have to adapt connector and then splice into the gage. Well if it worked I put in a pic of my 83 n/a dash. There is room for a gage next to the radio or if not care about radio could make a nice gage panel there. Need a piece of aluminum flatbar 4" by 3/16" (or 1/8) by I think it was fourteen inches long but you shold be able to measure the length. Cut it to fit the trapesoid and pop rivet it to the radio carrier that is in there.

PA290084_thumb.JPG

Oh by the way did you check the junkyards. IF you havea analog dash then find a 79 that way you can get the 130 mph speedo. ANd the three gage cluster comes out with one screw after you pull hte glove box. If your present gages are just not working correctly that would be your cheapest fix. BUT if your intent is to upgrade to better gages then be prepared to put some effort into it. If you have two of the three gage modules you can swap the parts of the gage that display from one module to the next.

This my be helpful if you want to eleminate the cluster you could go with the Motec digital cluster that has reading for allmost everything temp,fuel,boost,oil,speed,rpm,laptime and etc. I have seen it in 280zx and it looks awesome. It just maybe a bit pricey but if you think about it this one vs auto meter. I think Motec beats that!