HybridZ

Soft clutch... related to an explosion?

badjuju

It's on a 620 pickup, but the clutch system is similar, so I thought I'd ask here.

My newold pickup backfired once in a while while shutting off... that is, before one of them blew up the muffler. the muffler is rather close to the cab and thus the rest of the important stuff that makes the car move. I parked the truck at my parents' house for a couple days and took their car (because they went on vacation). When I started my truck again last night, I realized that the clutch seems to not engage as well. This morning I got in the truck and found out that the clutch pedal is just hitting the floor, almost no engaging at all... Drove to work and back in 2nd (short drive), and came home and posted this.

What might be going on, the master cylinder has almost no fluid in it, do I need to bleed the system or just add dot 4?

If there's a leak, wouldn't it have been leaking while I was driving the car around, rather than while it was parked? After work I checked and didn't notice any spill spots under the car.

Is it likely that the explosion (which happened the day before I parked it) damaged the line, or the slave cylinder?

Thanks guys,

alec

yes, roninjiro, it exploded. i know the difference between a backfire and a 12 gauge going off in my cab. and no, the sound didn't just make me realize that i was having to force my transmission into gear and then pull it out again instead of pushing the clutch in.

thanks for the responses, but it exploded. and the clutch does not operate any longer. the liklihood of it destroying the clutch line are slim, which is why i asked.

Thanks, Pop, what kinda fluid should I use?

• 2 weeks later...

K I'm sick of worrying about it, I think I'm going to just replace the master and slave, just go all out and fix it for sure, plus it'll give me a more intimate understanding of the system for when I swap my 5 speed into my 280. Is it safe to assume it's the same master and slave as came stock on the Zs? I guess since I know it's never safe to assume anything, Is the master and slave cyl the same on the 74 620 as it would be on the z of that year?