HybridZ

sudden power loss around 3k - 280zx

Brycey

hey guys, hows it going? just thought i would post up to see if anyone has experienced this problem or better yet knows how to fix it!! :(

the short story, i have had my 280zx off the road for about 4 or 5 weeks i guess, i put new extractors on, changed diff mount, fluid change all round etc, but because i put on new extractors i had to get the extractors welded to the existing exhaust...

so this morning the drive to the exhaust shop was very loud one. i picked up the car about a hour ago and everything sounded great and felt really good. so i thought after being so long i might put my foot down alittle. i got out onto the highway, put my foot down from a stop and it quickly climbed to around 3k then all of a sudden CUT no more power. i immediately pulled over because i thought something had gone horribly wrong but after checking everything then checking everything again it all looked fine :| the car idles fine, revs fine and freely in neutral but if your putting it under load it will cut between 2800-3200, and its a very severe cut.. im assuming its a fuel related issue but the only thing i did to the fuel system was install a new fuel filter and replace the old engine bay rubber fuel lines ( and they are connected correctly). I tried it a second time to see if it was just a one off and it happened again but I kept the foot down and it was almost like a violent rev limiter for 3k, it would build, cut, drop, build, cut, drop etc.

i found that you can reach any amount of revs you want if you baby it and climb the tacho slowly, it revs very freely and fast in neutral but once you select a gear and boot it (any gear) it just dosnt want to, this problem just occurs :S

iv never had this problem before and its a big tease :x not to mention very worrying. any help would be fantastic as im keen to sort this out ASAP

thanks for looking :)

wow you were right tec280zx!

and i think i am running lean naviathan, i rebuilt the engine and converted to 5 speed around may this year and never had a professional tune done, but never had this problem.. im going to get a tune done in the coming weeks now that i have it back on the road

it feels alot slower though.. so how come it cuts with the throttle position senser connected but it dosnt cut with it disconnected??

alright well i just took it of the TB but cant figure out how to open it :S it seems to have 2 rivets on the back that follow through to a blank screw face.. how do you open her up :|

photo0204ga5.jpg

photo0205in8.jpg

also i should have mentioned that i rewired the intake manifold, thermostat etc while it was off the road to hide alot of wires etc but i checked it about 5 times just then and its all correct..

:icon55:

its all good, all sorted :burnout: a mate came around just a short time ago with his spare TPS and its all fixed and running great

but as things go, the 4 day old intake/exhaust gasket has blown out on number 6 -this is the exact issue that caused me to take it off the road in the first place. not happy

if anyone wants me ill be in the corner crying :(

yeah it might be the type of gasket i used this time around.. here is a pic, i used the bottom one as the top one is stuffed as you can see

img2876ge7.jpg

it was kinda alkward gasket matching as the bottoms on the new gasket were circle :| no idea why, but i think im going to get a full metal mesh one rather then this style for the new one.. it jsut really really sucks because i just got it all back together and running really well - for about 10 minutes then for this to happen.. really disapointing.. oh well i guess this topics mystery is fixed, thanks again guys :-) massive help, have a good one

edit - my gasket has blown out just above number 6, there about a 3-4mm gap :-| no idea how it did it, but its done.

Number 6 intake or exhaust? If the intake I would venture a guess that you pre-fired due to being lean at some point and it blew out that way. If you haven't done so already, get a manifold stud kit from pallnet. It will make a huge difference in ease of install and strength. I'm using a paper gasket like the bottom one in your pic and it's still going strong.

heres a pic, the blown out part is very visable

img3006xe6.jpg

its on the exhaust.. im gonna go for a full metal one next time.. just a real kick to the bum for this to happen, its all gotta come apart again. so i think that im going to get a L24 EFI manifold and a new fuel rail.

Wow, that's odd. It must have been a weak spot in the gasket. Maybe it got creased in shipping or something. Anyhow, the intake/exhaust gasket isn't all that difficult to replace. I did the one on my ZX in about 2 hours with the thermostat and a few new hoses. A metal one should hold up much much better.