HybridZ

1973 240Z needs local help!

Guest mgarcia

Guest mgarcia

Hi everyone,

I am glad to join your group. I need your assistance with my 240z in Los Angeles, CA. I had a friend of mine take out the engine so I can paint the car. It took me a while, but finally got it done. He installed the engine back but was not able to started it as I was working on my dash at the time. I completely removed the dash to install a dash cover and to fix some electrical problems. My dilema now is that the car won't start and it was working fine before? I have checked all of my wiring and the engine turns. I cannot seem to get it to fire up?

any help would be appreciated as I am learning...

Thanks in advance.:burnout:

mgarcia: I am on the other side of the continent, so I can't come over and help you right now... but there are three things an engine needs to run. Compression, spark, and fuel. Start with the basics. If the engine ran before it was removed, it's very likely it still has compression. But if you check the other two and still no joy, don't overlook compression. Number two is spark. Remove a spark plug. Plug the wire back onto the spark plug. Lay it on a metal part of the engine. Crank the car and see if the plug sparks. You likely will hear it spark as well. Third is fuel. Your 240 most likely has a carb. Check to see if fuel is reaching the carb. After you try to start it remove a plug and look at it. Is it wet with fuel? Smell it, does it smell of fuel? Most important... BE CAREFUL!! your dealing with sparks and highly flannable liquid. Have a fire extinquisher handy. Have a buddy help. Did I mention to be CAREFUL???

If I was guessing I'd say it is likely that because you were working on the wireing, you have somehow dissabled the ignition and have no sparks. If you know all this, sorry, don't be insulted, just trying to help. Welcome to the forum, there are a lot of people here who know everything there is to know about Zcars. Search, read old posts, ask questions and you will learn. You'll be able to fix your own car, and the joy of this accomplishment will bring great satisfaction.

• 3 months later...
Guest mgarcia

Hi endurorider,

Thank you for responding. I am not a sure, it is a standard six cylinder 240 Z engine. Where I can I look and tell you?

Thanks in advance.