HybridZ

Need help with customizing a R180

Guest Phizinza

Guest Phizinza

Heres my idea. I want a R180 longnose with a locker. ARB do a air locker to fit 86 - 05 Navara's/Frontier's. Because the R180 in the Navara is a shortnose it won't work for me (to much modding.) So my question is. Can I use the center of a 4.11 R180 out of the Navara (along with the Navara bearings, because airlockers have special bearings) in a, just say, 240Z R180?

Cheers for any help. :icon14:

No, because they changed the ID of the ring gear in 76. You **might** be able to fit that locker into a later 240SX (180SX over there???) R180, and then put that in your Z. There is info on the later R180 swap into the early Z in the "What diff do I need?" sticky thread in this forum.

Guest Phizinza

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't own a Z this is for a project using Subaru parts. I want to get rid of the R160 and put a R180 in. So you think the 86+ Nissan navara locker might have the same internals as a 180SX/200SX? Can you give me more information on what years of the SX I would be looking for, for the R180? Or is it every year? Which year 240SX/200SX/180SX R180 came in 4.11?

Thanks again.

Guest Phizinza

That's alright.. I just read the 200SX in the late 80's has a R200, which if it has the same bolt pattern, 4 up front, two studs on the back, it wouldn't be a problem as I can get a locker for one of those too.

Was it the late 80's 200SX turbo that was R200 and 200SX N/A that was R180?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Phizinza
No, because they changed the ID of the ring gear in 76.

What do you mean by ID? Do you mean bolt pattern is different? I may only be able to use a 3.9 ratio. And the 240z was the only car I can find with a R180 in 3.9 ratio...

Basic question is, would a diff center from a 86+ Navara R180 short nose bolt to the 70's 240z 3.9 R180 ring gear and then fit into the diff housing?

By ID I meant Inside Diameter. They changed the inside of the ring gear size in 76.

Forget about mixing and matching a ring and pinion. They are a set and won't take kindly to that. Even if you had two identical diffs it would be a REALLY bad idea to swap ring gears from one to the other. But what you're talking about is finding a 10 tooth pinion from something, and matching it with a 39 tooth ring gear from something else. That's is an especially bad idea because the pitch on the teeth won't match. So even though it's a numerical 3.90, the teeth won't mesh together correctly at all.

Guest Phizinza

What I was meaning was to fit the 39 tooth ring gear to the diff lockers centre, so I still use the same pinion and ring gear that came in the diff casing I am going to use. Only thing different is the diff locker, kinda like swaping a LSD centre into the 3.9 R180... So my question was can you bolt the ring gear to a later model R180 centre?

Cheers mate.