HybridZ

Turbodiesel L6...input, ideas, thoughts...

OlderThanMe

I had this idea at back at college before I had my accident of making a turbodiesel L6. Why not? And I finally did a search and someone else has started on a similar project. I think this is more feasable than turning the diesel block into a gas engine. Plus it can run on biodiesel which you can brew up at your house for about $1 a gallon.

here is the other project.

http://www.datsunmotorsports.selfip.com/Diesel%20Experiment.htm

I highly doubt the LD would make more than 100hp with modest boost and correct fuel enrichment. For a diesel it isnt doesnt get terribly good milage either. Ive also read bio-diesel has roughly 12% less energy than dino-diesel, so you would be fighting that loss as well. The LD also uses a cast iron head and beefier internals so it is heavier, especially if you hang a turbo off the side.

I dont have the time to read that site right now, but those are just some things to think about.

There is a guy here in seattle that has a 5spd LD28 car for sale, and a automatic one as well. If you do decide to go through with it.

here is a thread of a guy that is running a LD28ET with 280zx stuff. Most of the members on there seem to want to just get rid of smoke and not build a big monster diesel...

I won't be doing this to go in my Z but maybe in a few years I'll build a Z with an LD35ET:twisted::twisted: :twisted:

At least it sounds fun to be doing a burnout in a turbodiesel Z...

Hint... that site is a great place to find a V07 crank for cheap!!!

my dad runs biodiesel in his semis and tractors and we get better mpg than any of the other guys around here and our drivers say they can feel an increase in power when they come back from over the road and are able to fill back up with biodiesel from "dino-diesel"...gels faster in cold weather though