HybridZ

Need stub axle thread size and pitch for a thread file

briann510

I need to get a thread file or die and before I head down to find one does anyone know what size the stub axle threads are for early Z cars? Its just the first couple threads messed up a little but I dont want to have to buy a whole kit. I think its a 20mm x 1.50 but wanna make sure.

thanks

I found confirmation that is the size and cant find die anywhere in stock thats 20mm!

go to a well equiped machine/welding shop and they'll probably have one. It'll cost you less to have them do it it than to buy the die. Now if you hvae the habit of screwing up threads from time to time, then it may be worth the investment. Around here it would be a special order item as most people don't use anything that large on a regular basis so no one stocks it.

Or you can use a thread FILE like you said in the first post. I've spent some time behind a thread file fixing stub axles. It works. Tedious, but it works, and just about any thread file will have the 1.5mm threads on it.

The trick is to cut the peened part of the nut before you take it off the stub axle. I know, not much use telling you that NOW, but if you ever have to do it again, you'll know...