HybridZ

PowerBrute is installed - is this normal?

Zmanco

I've got the powerbrute installed in my R180 and I'm getting a lot of chattering and clunking from the rear. I called Tim at Reider Racing and he says this is normal for a new powerbrute and that it needs to break in. He suggested switching to synthetic oil for break in to get it to slip more and break in easier. Also suggested driving in figure 8s in a parking lot to help.

My concern is that the rear is really resisting letting the rear wheels turn independently. It's quite noticeable when making even gradual turns that the car wants to push, even at totally sane speeds (35 mph) on the street.

Is this to be expected? And if so, how long will this go on?

Are you using any LSD additive? You MUST use LSD additive with these Power Brutes. You can get it from any auto parts store. They have different types, Chrysler, GM, Ford, but it's all the same stuff.

I'd buy two tubes of the stuff, put one in and find a parking lot and do some figure 8's. If it doesn't go away, add the 2nd tube.

Don't worry, it'll be fine.

Add another. Do the figure 8's. When it works its way in the chatter should go away. If it doesn't, add another tube. I can't remember any diff taking more than 3 to stop chattering, so I'd imagine that should do it for you. Might ask bjhines too, he's been running the more aggressive one like you've got, so he might have some insight into how much additive you need.