HybridZ

S.O.S. Runs but no idle!!!

Help! I have A 83 TURBO MOTOR AND ECU IN A 260. hAS BEEN TROUBLE FREE FOR A YEAR . NOW ON THE WAY TO WORK IT WILL NOT IDLE. rUNS GREAT ABOVE IDLE .CHANGED OUT THE FOLLOWING , FUEL REGULATOR , AIR FLOW METER, HEAD TEMP SENDER, COIL AND IGNITER, ECU.CHECKED TIMING.ANY IDEAS?. ON THE TURBO I GUESS THE ECU CONTROLS THE THROTLE BODY TO CONTROL THE IDLE? COULD THERE BE SOMETHING THAT COULD GO WRONG WITH THE GIZMO THAT HAS THE HARNESS ATTACHED TO IT? HELP HELP. DAILY DRIVER.

Sounds like your AAC valve stopped functioning. This valve bypasses air by the throttle. It looks similar to the egr valve but is located near the middle of the intake manifold. The ecu controls the Vacuum control modulator which in turn controls the AAC valve. I would guess that you have a vacuum leak from one of the small hoses that connect these systems.

• 1 month later...

I have easy access to all those parts for free. a friend has a junk yard full of z cars.Well the mystry continues. After a week of driving with the stop screw adjusted to make it idle it reversed its self and went to idle at 1400 rpm. So I reversed the stop screw adjustment back to its original setting to get a 700 rpm idle.Three weeks later its still fine.If the acc valve stopped working it would stick open or closed.Closed it would make it run rich when hot but run fine when cold.If stuck open it would not want to idle well cold but should run fine hot. It would not start hot or cold until I turned the throtle stop screw on the throttle body from its stock setting.