HybridZ

Giving serious thought to getting rid of the Fairlady.

MusPuppis

I look at it. I touch it. I love it. I just cant work on it. I dont have the time, money, space, nothing. I'm trying to look ahead to when I'll be able to start but I just dont see it anywhere in the next couple years.

I dont want the car to just sit and atrophy. Theres nothing I despise more than poeple who hold on to a vehicle for no other reason than stubborness, when all the while it simply degrades and fails, a little bit at a time.

I dunno, just giving it some thought. The car is complete, less the engine. Its a shell currently, completely torn down but I have all the parts. One frame rail from the sway bar forward is dead. Battery tray is borked, floors were worthless so I cut them out. Fenders need work. Little assorted spots here and there. Rockers are squirrely.

Honestly I dunno.. Kind of voicing my thoughts out loud at the moment. I guess if i did get rid of it, I'd simply give it away to a good owner. I cant see anyone paying much for it, I have no idea as to the value of a cut up, stripped and gutted '73 Fairlady, but I bet its not much. I want the car to have a good home but I just dont see when I'll have the time and motivation to give it the work it deserves and requires.

*sigh*

Well, if I ever do get around to working on the car I have no clear plans honestly. Molded headlight buckets, shaved side markers, ZG flares (I'd love a wide-body but its not gonna happen). Color? No damn idea. I see-saw hourly.

Engine? I have no idea. If I had the budget, RB or LSx. If not, L28et. If I really had alot of money to throw at it, I always thought a built, stroked, twin turbo (more for looks than anything) SHO motor would just be neat.

The interior is rough. The dash is cracked all to hell. The whole car is rough, simple as that. Its been through alot and it shows. Ive certainly seen a whole hell of alot worse but its no peach.

I look at it. I touch it. I love it. I just cant work on it.

I know how you feel. Mine has been sitting in the garage for a few years now. When you are torn down to the bare shell it looks hopeless that it will ever get back together. Doing it all is a daunting task. Getting others over to help is even more of a challenge.

For some reason Fairlady Z's do not have much value here in the U.S. Everyone talks about wanting one and how much they are worth but none ever come through.

Maybe we should form our own Fairlady Z restoration support group....