HybridZ

seat conversion question

V8_DatZun

I did a search and found nothing on this. I was looking at my z the other day and trying to figure out how i could go to SEZ with my wife and kid without taking two vehicles... I've also kinda brainstormed this before so it popped back into my head. Has anyone ever seen a bench type seat configuration in a 280zx? Like say.. take the rear bench out of a car of comparable size maybe one that is kind of U or horseshoe shaped... like the middle seating area curves in a little to clear the shifter (yes it would be hard to shift w/legs there but my son is also only 1 1/2 yrs old so not really an issue yet) ill also have the car setup for some racing seats that i can pop in for track/play time. any suggestions on types of cars to get the seats from? i figure someone here may have a car that they think may work and can chime in... thanks for any suggestions guys.

Do you have a ZX or a Z? If you have a ZX you might be able bolt in a baby seat in the back. You will have to remove the whole rear speaker panel. Here is a picture of my roadster ZX with the rear speaker panel remove. You can see how much room you have there. Just make sure you bolt the baby seat down really good. GL

768663_161_full.jpg

Here are more pictures if you want to see http://www.cardomain.com/ride/768663/5

Vinh

THANKS for the pics and comments! i thought about that also but didnt know how the room back there would be. now that i saw the pic (i have a zx btw) with the seats in and everything removed i see i'll have plenty of room. the interior is totally gutted as of right this moment. no steering wheel, dash, panels, nothing. (the engine is in the shop comes out wednesday 383 stroker, working on custom dash, trying to clean the interior metal to prep for paint inside and out, AND trying to finish the engine bay for the engine to be put in thursday after thanksgiving) SOOO thanks for the pics... i just thought maybe the bench seat would work better but THEN i didnt think of the middle seat back rest being in the way trying to reach into the hatch.. so the car seat would probably be a better option. thanks again guys. any other suggestions still welcome!

You could bolt a child racing style seat into the floor..

I want to say that I have seen this done, but I may be hallucinating. The seat can be bolted or affixed somehow to the floor or rollbar or strutbar, etc. This would be much easier than anything else (except taking using a sedan) if you want to make this work. Your son will love it!

Davy

For short term I suggest you use the baby seat in the back. So now is a good time to weld in a few brackets so you can strap down the baby seat. Since your son is still young you can do this. For long term I would suggest you to look into removing the center console and custom make a shift boot cover then fab up a center seat with seat belts. You can make it so that if you are not using the center seat you can fold it down and use it as an arm rest. You can do this. Good luck.

Vinh

thanks for the responses guys! Vinh i really like your idea... i do that everyday w/my silverado... that is a more appealing idea to me.. if i can just find something to adapt like... possibly s-10 seats? they may be too tall though.. ill have to check.. possibly ford ranger also... i know the 96 rangers with manual tranny has the horseshoe shaped bench type seat w/a folding console/armrest.. thanks again guys..

How about something along the lines of what some British sportscars had to accomodate a third person - a sideways rear seat with the person sitting facing the driver's side. You could swap this around (facing the passenger side) so your wife could look over and interact and reach your child should the need arise. There would be ample leg room.

What is the point of building a car and then have to trailer it every where you go? Cars are made to be driven.

It's an "event". Not a trip to the hardware store. Take the family, take the car. I dont see any real problem with putting a "child" seat in a sports car. Other than a two seat "sports" car is what it is. And a family is what it is.

Thats why a family man with a "sports" car had better have more than one ride. And if one is taking ones family to an "event" take the "sports" car.....with the family car. By the way I had three children so I speak from experience. I thought only Harley riders rode their prize rigs to "events". Oh, my bad, Last time I was in the Dakotas thats right.....I witnessed about a hundred trailers with bikes on them. Darn, that didn't work! :bonk:

lol i live like 50 miles from SEZ i built the car to drive.. im just looking for a seat solution for trips like this.. i hope to still leave brackets for my race seat or seats that i can just swap out when i want to race around. but friday and saturday nites when all the rodders and ricers cruise i want to show off my hard work WITH my family that helped make it happen... lol my wife turns a wrench with me every now and then... dont think i could have lowered my 99 long wheel base silverado w/o her help...

You are truly a lucky man.

Just toss in some straps in the back. Like the ones used to secure T-tops!

Then just strap the little one down!:mrgreen: kidding man!

How about a small bucket seat bolted to the aft valley. That way the legs would be resting on or about the center console. And with a bolt up roll bar you might have more options. Im sure the little one would get a kick outa seeing forward.

gnosez has probably the most practicle solution. They call it a "jump" seat I believe.

Good luck mister....