HybridZ

Turn Signal Problem and others!!

Guest SalEsh

hello all, i just recently bought a 72 240z and i have a few questions. when i bought the car the previous owner said he had swaped in a 280z motor and a 5spd tranny.

first problem

when im sitting at a intersection waiting to ether turn left or right with ether turn signal on, it will blink fine for a bit, then slowly start to slow down on the blinks untill it just stops working. i rev my engine and it will start to blink back to the normal state. no other lights dim its just my turn signals. the alt was recently replaced by previous owner and i put my optima battery in.

second

when the car is idling all my lights on the car kinda flicker.

third

i have alot of play in my brake peddle. ive bled the whole braking system, ive adjusted the rears up tight, but i cant get a good peddle, there is about a inch and a half of free play before there is any kind of brake preasure. with the car off i can pump the brakes up and get a bit more peddle but there is still that free play.

fourth

when taking off from a stop it seems like my gas peddle is sorta sticking... ive made sure all the linkage is aligned properly and greased, but the gas peddle is almost like a on/off switch at the top. i will be trying to take off and press the gas lightly but then have to press harder to get going then its to much and i hop the car or rev high.

fifth

my rpm tach doesnt seem right, to me it doesnt display the proper rpm the engine is at, esp at higher rpms. i will be taking off hard in 1st or 2nd and it seems to like slow down at 3500k and higher, but the engine is getting louder and louder.

sorry for the problems lolol but im excited to get them fixed so i can focus on modifying the car!!

thanks in advance!!!!

Brandon

as far as your electrical problem, i personally only owned 280zx's but from what i know, 240z's have voltage regulators and i would look into that.

what does one of those look like llol

Brandon

adjust your free play for the brakes. there is a threaded rod to the master cylinder. make it longer by running the nuts in the right direction.

ive been debating to do that for a bit now. i will try that this weekend.

any one else for any other suggestions for my other problems.?? :toetap05:

Brandon

IMHO:

1) Did the new motor also come with a 280ZX alternator? There are adapters out there that enable the 240 wiring to be connected to a ZX alt for better voltage at lower RPMs, but you will need to disgard your voltage regulator (located on the pass. side wheel well in the engine bay, near your inspection light). PM me if you are looking to replace your old one.

2) same answer as #1.

3) already answered by roger.svoboda.

4) 240s are notorious for the throttle linkage sticking then suddenly releasing at inopportune times, like when your wife, in the passenger seat, is just beginning to sip her coffee. Not marriage condusive. Assuming you still are running SUs, you will need to lube the heck out of all the ball joints and adjust the threads on the linkage where it comes through the firewall. You may want to consider locating a longer linkage between the firewall and the rear carb.

5) If you are not using an electronic ignition, I won't be of much help. You might want to look into the 79-83 ZX dizzys, with the E12-80 module, which will work correctly with a 240 tach. See the pic for the wiring diagram. (lifted from ClassicZCars.com)

Hope this helps!

280ZX dizzy wiring_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

fixed the brake problem, i was replacing some old hose's to the brake booster and decided to take the master cyc right off to have a look, found that the master cyc was leaking. replaced the master cyc and now brakes are awesome.

Brandon