HybridZ

Port matching worth it?

WHP

My Edelbrock Air Gap intake manifold runners are smaller than the AFR head's ports by a very uniform 0.1" all the way around the circumference of the port. My searching yields conflicting advice. Some say port match it perfectly even, the AFR instructions say leave .050, the Edelbrock instructions say leave a .020 edge. Is it worth spending my time port matching for a hot street motor in this case?

The air gap is a darn good manifold as is. There may be just a few hp in matching the ports if the rest of the combo supports it, but it's not much. If you're planning on less than 500hp, I wouldn't worry about it, and spend that time/money on getting the combo tuned.

John

Thanks John, that is what I am asking. Since the head ports are larger than the manifold I guessed the turbulance would be minimal, but I don't have experience in V-8s. If it is just 2-3hp on a 380-400 hp combo then I could let it ride. One article I researched even said it would help minimize reversion and recommended it on street engines. But the hotrodder in me says match it perfect for max hp? Pro engine builders chime in please!

Will Piatt