HybridZ

Making Fiberglass Molds

z-ya

I've have access to original Bob Sharp flares, air dam, and rear spoiler from the 280Z Paul Newman competed in (actually it is a 240Z with a 280Z tail lights and an L28 under the hood). I know the owner of the Bob Sharp collection, and he will let me borrow some "spares" to make molds of.

So anyone out there good at making molds? Any expert mold makers want to make the molds in exchange for a set of flares for me? If I find the right person to do it, great. If not, I will attempt to make molds myself (never done it before).

Hear are some photos of the Bob Sharp 280Z that was driven by Paul Newman back in the days:

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00021.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

ZCCNE200360.jpg

ZCCNE20037.jpg

zcon_2005_04sr0642.jpg

I can look at this car for hours (and have done so). And if you think it looks good, you should hear how it sounds (dual megaphone exhaust).

• 11 months later...

Ken,

Thanks for the offer. A local friend that has made a number of Cobra bodies in the past, is giving us all of his materials, and is going to show us how to make molds. The caretaker of the Bob Sharp collection (remember Charlie?), is going to let us use his shop. This way the original parts never leave his possession. I'd hate to ship them and have them get damaged or lost.

For my next project I might use the rear spoiler.

I want to hear the megaphones!

Also, if anyone is interested in making molds, I found this video rather informative.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DEa5_WHQZo0

No you don't. This is the most painfully loud L6 powered car I have ever heard. Even if you are not standing behind it. I've done lapping with it on the track, and when I was behind it I thought there was something wrong with my car (vibration). It was the BSR car in front of me.