HybridZ

Weld header tubes to flange?

WHP

I posted this in the welding forum and did not get any responses so I'll try here:

I bought a set of Summit (Patriot) SBF block hugger headers because they will allow engine installation without cutting my steering linkage. I am using AFR heads and the exhaust ports are bigger than stock so the header ports are too small by 0.2". The hole in the 1/4" flange is the correct size for the larger AFR head, but after inserting the header tube and welding they are undersize for the AFRs. Would it work to weld around the tube on the outside of the flange and then take a rotary grinder and open the flange back up by grinding out the tube and inside weld? There is enough material built up on the head side of the flange to still have the raised "sealing bead". I am concerned if they would be strong enough not to crack. I plan to send them out for coating so rust should not be an issue. If welding will work what kind of weld would be best?