HybridZ

Update: Project Silver Bullet - LS1 240Z

Hey guys,

It has been a while since I have done an update so I thought I would let you all know how my car is progressing. It has been driven over 5000 miles since the swap was completed and I must say it is an excellent swap.

On to the update.

A few weeks ago I took the car to a place called F Body Central near Baltimore to have it dyno tuned. The guys at F body really know their stuff about LS1 motors. A guy named Bret did the dyno tuning. The use a Mustang Dyno and EFI Live for computer tuning.

We got it strapped to the dyno and started to make a few pulls for a baseline and they noticed it was running lean under load.

I was having some fuel pressure trouble that wasn't apparent until we got it on the dyno for some tuning. We hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and did another pull and the pressure was dropping off once the rpms got above 3000.

We thought that maybe it was a clogged filter so I pulled the filter, replaced it with a straight barbed connector and we tried again. Same problem.

Ok so we unhooked it form the dyno and I went back to Tony at the Hot rod Shop that built the fuel system. They checked it out and found that the fuel pump was bad. Replaced the FP and set up another appt to get it tuned.

Back on the dyno, the same problem occured. Back to the drawing board. I took it back to Tony again. This time he pulled the fuel filter and blew through it and it was clogged. He took it apart to see what was clogging it and it was full of this brown residue. He pulled the gas tank and the inside was covered in this residue. It seems that the previous owner had the tank boiled and re-sealed and the sealant was coming off and clogging everything up.

Luckily I had a Fuel Injected tank from a 75 280Z sitting in my garage that was waiting to be installed.

We swapped in the 280Z tank and the problem is gone.

I called and made an appt at F body again and drove back up there. The car felt like a different car. I had thought it was fast before but it was really fast now.

We get it back on the dyno and Bret does the tuning and we make several pulls. The best pull was 340RWHP and 365RWT. But better then the additional HP was the way the car responded. The throttle response is instantanious. It feels fantastic. And just in time for a Track day at Summit Point.

I went to Summit Point this past friday for a FATT (friday at the track) The car performed great. No problems, plenty of power and everyone loved it. I had lots of guys come up and ask to see under the hood. Everyone thought it was a super clean, "looks like it belongs there" swap.

A guy came up to me and said, man that car is fast. Your were pulling away from me in all the straights. I asked what he was driving and he said a new 911. A guy in a 2002 Z06 was trying to keep up too and a 944 turbo and a Mustang. I blew past a newbie in a Ferrari F430 too.

I had the same instructor for the 1st 2 sessions and an different instructor for the 2nd 2 sessions. The first guy kept telling me to try and be more smooth on my steering imputs. Afer the 2nd session I let him drive it and he said that it wasn't me that it was the tires. I am running Pirelli P6000 tire and they are good on the street but suck on the track. Next time I go back, I will get better tires.

The 2nd instructor (Tom, an instructor for 18 years) say I needed to go faster and use the brakes to get the car settled but not to scrub off so much speed. He said I could safely go much faster. This advice made a huge difference it the way I was driving. In my 3rd seesion I was running about 6/10s. I went back out with Tom in the final session and he just shut up and let me drive. I was pushing it much harder and passing lots of cars and lapping several cars too. When the session was over, Tom said that he was impressed by my improvements and said "That was some damn fine driving" He said I was at about 8.5/10ths He cleared me for Solo driving. Now I just need to get one more instructor to clear me for solo and I can move up.

I plan to buy another set of wheels and tires for track use and I will be going back in the spring.

I take it you know keith over at FBC with the silver turbo f-body?

I met a guy there with a silver Camaro with an undercar turbo. We didn't exchange names. I guess that was him. They were getting ready to fire it up for the ist time one of the nights I was there. Should be a wcked fat car when he gets it done. Really cool turbo setup too.

Interesting that something rather simple could cause so many problems. Good thing that it was actually sorted out and that could use the car's potential much more fully on the track. The enjoyment factor just went up severla notches and I bet you kissed the car after you tucked it in the garage that night. What a feeling.

Davy