HybridZ

lt1 stock performance

Calico

hey I'm gonna be building a 280zx powered by an lt1. I was wondering what kinda of stock times I can expect. The 280zx is around 2800lbs so with 300hp/280lbs torque it should run mid 12's to low 13's depending on traction? I'm assuming this is in the same ballpark becasue my Grand national ran very low 13's it was a 3300lb car and made about 300hp/370lbs torque!

later on I plan to upgrade the lt1 but I just wanna know what the lt1 platform I'm working with is gonna be capable of?! I will be running the 4l60e tranny and the f-body lt1....

the modds I want down the line are a nitrous express kit 100shot, comp cam nitrous cam, ported stock heads, headers, exhaust cutout and a 2800-3000 stall with a 280zxT rear. Any feed back would greatly help my research thanks

Ok well I know that a G-tech is not perfect by any means but it has shown to be pretty close....

My car runs 12.496@112.59 (1.962s 60') but its not a stock motor. I have the LT4 hotcam(pretty small cam actually), ported stock heads,1.6RR, 11:1 compression, electric water pump, upgraded fuel system,36 lbs injectors,58mm throttle body, and custom tuning(just a basic tune though/still needs fine tuning), and I replaced the R180 with a R200(3.55 gears).

I haven't actually got it down the 1/4 mile yet but if I can't get into the 11's with sticky tires and some practice I'm going to go with a bigger cam that is more suited to my heads. No nitrious though because I didn't build my motor for it. Oh and I have the T56 tranny.

A stock LT1 should get you 13's pretty easy.

Guy

I'm thinking some sort of forced induction now...possible blower or maybe some sort of turbo kits....I use to know of a million places tht sold turbo kits for LT1 and lsx series motors even the old tpi motors but I has been so long...when you have a grand national you don't exactly need to look up any turbo kits

I'm thinking some sort of forced induction now...possible blower or maybe some sort of turbo kits....I use to know of a million places tht sold turbo kits for LT1 and lsx series motors even the old tpi motors but I has been so long...when you have a grand national you don't exactly need to look up any turbo kits

I think turbocharging the V8 has been discussed here before. The biggest issue I see is the amount of room, or lack of it, in the Z car's engine compartment. The headers or exhaust manifolds are the next biggest challenge and then plumbing after that. Once these things are addressed, changes to the motor itself will need to be done: lower compression pistons, bigger injectors, better fuel pump, reprogrammed ecu, etc. The idea is feasible, it just takes a bit. I'd love to do a turbo'd LT1 in an S30--that would rock.

Davy