HybridZ

2+2 springs in a 2 seater

Guest Zpeed

I'm just wondering if the rear 2+2 springs would fit into the 2 seaters, i'm remembering reading somewhere that they fit and they make the car lower,

but i am not completly sure... just that i can get some rear 2+2 springs for cheap..

Nathan, you can use the 2+2 springs according to JTR, but the info is in relation to moving the spring perch up by 2.5" and then cutting 280ZX 2+2 springs for a stiffer setup, but with a much wider tire. Here is the skinny:

"To gain wheel clearance (backspacing) on the rear strut, the Datsun spring perch can be raised 2.5" so that it will clear a 26" diameter tire. This will allow a rim with a backspacing of 5.5" 245/50-16 tires on 16x8" rims will fit the rear wheelwells with no fender modifications!

280ZX 2+2 rear springs can be used, with 3-1/4 coils cut, to maintain the stock ride height. The spring rate will be about 200 lbs per inch after the springs is cut."

IMO, there may be a problem with how high the springs will jack your car up in the back if you leave them alone without bothering to cut them at all, even if you don't do the spring perch modification. How much to cut them? icon_confused.gif Don't know! Hopefully someone else may know.

I did have 280Z (not 2+2) springs on my 260Z (early body) that made the ride a bit stiffer, or so it seemed. They worked at stock ride height fine. Just food for thought.

Davy

• 2 years later...

Can we re-visit this topic?

I am interested in using 2+2 springs on my coupe, I've found from searching that the 2+2 springs are longer, and so would need to be cut down a bit to give stock ride height. Has anyone done this? How stiff is this setup compared to the stock springs, will I regret the change?

I am planning a v8 swap, so I'll have a little extra weight, but the 2+2 springs are sized for a heavier car plus 2 extra passengers, so I wonder if they will be too stiff, especially after getting cut.

If your wondering, it's a 74 260 z with 20mm front and rear sway bars, stock shocks ( I know they'll have to be upgraded w/ the springs) and right now stock 6 cyl, but planning an LT1/T5 swap.

I've done it in my 240z and it works well, though is a bit time consuming to get the right number of coils off each spring. (it won't be the same all around to have your car sit perfect) I'd say my car is ~1.5" lower than stock with probably a 30% stiffer spring than stock using this type of setup. Still a bit too plush for me though, so I am going to go with some 200-250lb/in springs soon. :D

Hold on Hold on.. what 2+2 springs are we talkin about?

280zx 2+2 springs are HUGE in diameter and only a few coils. aren't they? they have the same rear control arm design as the z31 right?

A 260 or 280z 2+2 springs look almost the same as our springs but have a slightly thicker coil because of the extra weight of the 4 seaters. I think those would work very well. Measure them up beside your stock ones to be sure... I wish I had my manual with me that lists the spec on the springs....oh well...

I was thinking of the springs from a first gen 2+2 used on a first gen coupe. The springs look similar, but I haven't got them off the 2+2 yet to see if they are exactly the same as far as total diameter and length. I read somewhere that they were a little bit longer.

It looks like I'm going to try it though, as I was quoted a very reasonable price for the springs, so even if they don't work I won't be out much.

Anyone have suggestions for a shock that would go with this combo? Something besides the $120/each adjustable illumina's?

• 8 months later...

A question for those of you who have cut the 3 1/4 coils: Did you heat and fold down the last half coil so that it would fit snugly in the spring bracket? Is the original flattened coil counted when figuring the cut?

JTR is silent on these issues. (Or have they been clarified since the 7th edition)?