HybridZ

using radiant heat from exhaust

V8_DatZun

has anyone tried to use the auxilliary blower motor off the l28 engine to suck radiant heat out of the engine compartment and into the cab for a recycled heat type heater/defroster? i've been thinking about it and know i can get it to work... but my question is.. any drawbacks besides possible oil leaks causing smell... possible exhaust leaks... etc?

hey hey hey hey!

CORVAIRS were the ones with oil and exhaust smoke in the cab from the heaters. VW's had nice separate heat exchangers that could only get oil on them from poor valvecover gaskets that leak leak leak because the lazy mechanics never changed them at the 3000 mile interval like VW said....

Having two early 60's Microbusses, and two Corvairs (60 and 66), the first thing I thought was "This guy is an old Air-Cooled Fanatic and craves that "nice manifold heat" you get from the VAir and 'Dub!" LOL

Really though, you shouldn't have oil dripping on your headers. If you do, then heating your interior is not an issue. Fire in the engine compartment is more of a concern!

Making a blower and ducting wouldn't be hard, but why?

Running a small water-based heater core from something like a Geo Metro will be easily managed and put out FAR more reliable heat (once the engine is warmed up) that you will efficiently recover off the headers.