HybridZ

where to put the fuel pump (pics)

finally got around to working on the z this thanks giving weekend. gutted the interior and pulled out the I6. so im throwing around some ideas on where to put the pump. the pump im using is an aeromotive A1000 fuel pump. there are 2 locations im thinking about putting it.

306315343_38a396ea1c_o.jpg

location A: where the floor pan ends (as shown below)

Pros: lower than the lowerest part of the tank

Cons: not very close to the tank

306315341_933da43694_o.jpg

location B: right beside the gas tank (as show below)

Pros: very close to the tanks

Cons: not very low, ill have to drive around with atleast 1/4 tanks at all times.

306315340_a16ddd28be_o.jpg

So far locations A seems the best. anyone have any other suggestions? any input would help.

btw did i tell you guys what i have planned for my z?? well ill give you a hint, i wont be using the t28 in the picture below.

306315348_c43c8bb1d6_b.jpg

306315346_26e5c88d6a_b.jpg

If I see that right position A would stick down below the frame? Fuel pumps not something I would want to scrape if you ever have ground clearance issues. On position B why wont the pump pull a little uphill as I would think it should be able to pull a little vacuum - mine do?

Cameron

if i put it in position A, i would put it a little higher than the pictures shows to protect it. as for position B, what you said is exactly what i wanted to hear. my friend runs the paxton version of the same pump and he as well as others tell me it has to be lower than the lowest part of the tank while others tell me its ok to be alittle higher....its confusing...

if i put it in position A, i would put it a little higher than the pictures shows to protect it. as for position B, what you said is exactly what i wanted to hear. my friend runs the paxton version of the same pump and he as well as others tell me it has to be lower than the lowest part of the tank while others tell me its ok to be alittle higher....its confusing...

You can pretty much mount it anywhere, just so long as it is near the tank and somewhat below if not level with it. Once the pump starts flowing fuel it will creat a siphon effect and continue to pump fuel even if the fuel level is below the level of the pump.

You can pretty much mount it anywhere, just so long as it is near the tank and somewhat below if not level with it. Once the pump starts flowing fuel it will creat a siphon effect and continue to pump fuel even if the fuel level is below the level of the pump.

Much will depend on how much fuel and at what pressure your engine needs. I used to run one A1000 pump when it was located way below the fuel tank ( fuel tank was mounted above rear floorboard inside Z). Once I lowered the tank outside of the Z, only half of the pump was below the bottom of the tank. This change alone prevented my engine from obtaining enough fuel for drag racing. Partially through each run the carb would run dry.

I added a second A 1000 pump in series and then joined both lines with a Y to the regulator. Getting all the fuel I need now.

I believe the A1000 is a good pump but my experience indicates it is very sensitive to location. I have heard that electric pumps don't pull fuel well but are designed to push. This should also be kept in mind when contemplating a location.

jonus079, you may not need more than the pump you have but that turbo looks very hungry.

Hanns

the motor going in is a 2003 5.3l lm7 engine so it fuel injected. i also have the ls1 fuel rails ill be using. it will use an10 lines up to the from the pump to the y block, an8 lines into the rails and to the regulator, then an an6 return after the regulator. the entire system is gunna be fuel hungry. also your right, the a1000 pump is not designed to pull. the manual pritty much says, the lower the better.

i think im gunna go with location A because i dont want to risk leaning out and damaging the engine. i was also think about using the fuel tank drain for the supply line. iv heard good and bad things about this set up but i htink it will work well.