HybridZ

Anyone ever gotten a rb25 harness /w 1 relay

Z U L8R

I'm doing an rb25 swap in a friend of mine's 240z, and his wiring harness is a little butchered but i'm inspecting this thing and i only have 1 relay on the harness by the ecu plug. so i take it home and set it next to my rb25 harness. mine has both relays, i've stripped down the insulation on his harness and i can't see any cut wires where maybe someone cut the other relay out. both our 25's are the neo motors with the vtc hump on the passenger side timing cover. any ideas?

another crazy thing, i'm looking at the main harness and i don't see any plug for the ignitor, and the short harness off the coil packs doesn't have a pigtail for it either....i believe i was glancing at something and it mentioned rb25's with internal ignitors on the coil packs....but anywho i'm gonna get back to work and make some sense out of all this LOL.

there's only one relay, i've inspected this whole harness, even on the small harness that runs off of the coil packs there's no lead or plug for an ignitor hehe. but anywho, i looked at the "dash plug" with my 25 harness next to me as a reference and i'm tracing back some of the wires off of my second relay, and there's no wire in the terminal on my friend's dash plug ( the white one that snaps over ). i'm pretty sure one relay is for the ecu and the other's for ignition etc, well IF his motor has built in ignitors on each coil pack then perhaps his ignition is completely ecu controled therefore not needing a separate ignition relay...... this whole thing is strange but i'm gonna make it work ^_^

well i came home to my rb25 after looking at my friend's coil packs, and there's definately an extra hump over each of his coil packs, so it's looking good as far as the harness only having one relay and each coil pack having it's own ignitor theory. i just wonder what kind of car his 25 came out of *shrug, tomorrow i should make some headway on his dash plug/ignition switch wiring, i'd like to be able to start the motor or at least compression test the thing before his warranty is up. tomorrow i'll call jarco or jhot and ask em if any of their 25's only have one relay.

nt sure about not having the 2 relays, but it sounds like a series 2 (01/95-12/98) engine, integrated ignitor modules etc. there is something different about the CAS too (can't remember exactly what)

i found that out the hard way when i bought the Series 1 set of splitfire ignitors..

Guest Jon Powell

There are 2 different R33 RB25DET harnesses.

The "Series 1" is 2 relays and has a seperate ignitor.

The "Series 2" is one relay and has the ignitor integrated into the coil packs.

You are fine.