HybridZ

PICS: Mockup Of Z Dash In ZX

V8_DatZun

well i went to my buds and pulled the dash from his z, came home and mocked it up... it actually looks PRETTY DARN GOOD. The mounting points are totally different (as expected) BUT i believe i can make it mount up. The top of the dash will fit flush with some persuasion, the sides have a LITTLE bit of a gap, BUT im going to add a roll cage anyway, so no biggie. if you werent going to add a roll cage you could probably modify the zx trim enough to compensate for the little gap. here are the pics (with a long extension holding the dash in place)

underdash the steering column route lines up almost perfectly.

underzdash.JPG

front view.. looks pretty darn good if u ask me.

zdashinzx.JPG

and finally the little gap between dash and trim

passzinzxdash.JPG

ill post info on mounting etc whenever i get that far. i need to find another full dash cover to go on.. this one is old and brittle lol... sad when the dash cover is cracked.....

im planning on it... i just had it set up in there for the visual to see how it looked, fit, etc. im working on the mounting portion now.. the top is kinda easy.. bottom not so.. you have to cut those 2 zx mounts off that are attached to the car at the bottom of the dashboard because the z dash comes down lower.. ill post all the instructions for mounting once i get it finished, although im going to take it back out so i can swap gauges when i order them. but i agree.. it does look really good in the car. especially since im doing the interior in black w/blue accents.

I posted this once, but it seems to have been deleted somehow, by someone.

Be careful that you replace that crossmember with something similar, as it IS structural in the ZX. I'm referring to the bottom dash mount bar, that holds the steering column up. If you remove it, you should replace it with something that will again tie the A-pillars together or the first time you slam the doors, you're liable to bust the windshield out.

Just an observation and a suggestion.

Warren

hmm... thanks for that info.. NEVER even thought of that... but you are right that is the only thing come to think of it that ties the two sides together... guess i'll have to weld in a bar to help brace, and support the steering column.. thanks for the insight.. never would have thought of it.. and that really would have made me mad had it happened..