HybridZ

94-95 Power reduction?

rudypoochris

The lower MN12 (T-bird/Cougar) intake manifold required to clear the SN95 hood is more restrictive. It's just a matter of asking air to make sharp turns. I've held both intakes in my hands and compared them; it's a case of crappy vs more crappy. The other issue was the introduction of the EEC-V processor and OBDII. The emissions stranglehold got much tighter, and many people have issues with these processors. The factory programming those first couple of years leaves a bit to be desired. They retard timing between shifts and other icky things, while just not being friendly to modifications. More than one company made a harness to use an older EEC-IV ecm in a 94-95. IIRC that alone made for a .4 sec 1/4mi improvement on a stock car, not chump change. On the upside, they got a 2mm larger throttle body. Hooray 2mm.

Officially, the 94-95 has more power than the '93. A year earlier the '93 was downrated to 205hp with no real changes, other than it being the first year of the hypercraptastic pistons. Ford claimed they changed their rating method. Meanwhile, most dynos were showing around 205rwhp. Probably just done to make the SN95 cars look better when they came out.

Umm, I am dumb, I never pasted the link. Actually, my first post was just me typing from memory. Hypercraptastic is all me (Hypereucraptic is another favorite). I checked my numbers afterward to make sure I remembered correctly and didn't lead you astray.

Here's the link:

http://www.mustangworks.com/articles/electronics/eek-vs-eek.html

Here is another site link with a bunch of related info, along with several Wesley articles in PDF. He really makes complicated concepts easy to understand.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=20