HybridZ

Media Blast Or Acid Bath ???

M3This

I seen both. Either one is viable. The media blast can harm metal if done incorrectly, cannot get to every nook and leaves a lot of debris. The acid bath does a great job but needs to be fully neutralized to prevent bleeding and paint damage later. Now, my preference is soda blasting. It does an excellent job, is easily cleaned up and the cost should be comparable. I would think you could find any of those services in your area. Worst case might be towing the chassis to another location. I travel 6 hours one way for galvanizing services and that requires two trips for each occasion.

I was just going to say soda blasting is what i did and it turned out better than i thought it would. but i went to my local rental yard and it cost me $275 for the mich.,soda,delivery and pick-up. also the guy that dropped it of showed me what to do and what not to do. just a thought.

Thanks for all the info guys .... I'll check out that soda blasting place here in Vegas and see what they have to say. Anyone have any idea of what I should expect to pay? Also after its blasted do they coat it to prevent new rust or do I need to spray it or take it some where to be sprayed?

Sorry for the noob questions ... just want to do it right the first time.

M3This,

I presume you meant "chemical stripping"! In California I'm not aware of anyone legally doing acid dipping anymore. Dipping a metal body into an acid bath will eat away the metal making it thinner and affecting the designated temper - depending on how long the body shell is left in the acid. It can affect the metal structurally in the sense that you could physically lean on the body and have it collapse. The challenge is that if this happens you cannot repair it in the typical fashion. It becomes like crumpled up aluminum foil. This is my experience from working on an acid dipped body many years ago. I presume that is why acid dipping was passed over for "chemical stripping".

In my observation, both media blasting or chemical stripping has their pros and cons.

If I may suggest you take the time to "chemically strip" the body yourself using a good paint stripper. You'll save yourself quite a bit of money and also learn to develop the patience, discipline and skill to restore a car. If you do a "search" you'll find plenty of info on how to strip your car because this has been discussed at length.

Ernie/RacerX

Good info. I have seen people strip cars and then send them to chemical stripping after to get all the small parts, but it seemed like a lot of work. I'll do a search like you said and read up on the stripping methods.

They quoted me $1200 - $1800 for soda blasting ...thats about $600 more then I thought.

now you know why i went to nations rent and did it myself. oh and yes, you do have to coat the car after blasting or it will rust over nite. your local automotive paint store can tell you whats best for your climate. some type of poly primer or gel coat primer.

it has many names , but what its called ,just depends on where you live.